VMware Horizon Community
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Load Balancing Connection Servers

Hi,

Just wondering what everyone is doing to provide load balancing/high availability for the View Connection Servers? Any specific brands/models you are using?

I currently have two connection servers, I have everyone pointed to one, and the other is just kind of there as a spare. It's not ideal.

Thx

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We currenlty use round robin, also not ideal, but are looking at getting a F5 sometime in the near future.   

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We currenlty use round robin, also not ideal, but are looking at getting a F5 sometime in the near future.   

0 Kudos
calladd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Using a Netscaler here. Seems to work well.  I have tried the Virtual Appliance load-balancer methods in the past and had issues with sessions getting moved mid connection and creating authentication issues, but that could just be my environment and not indicative of everyone's experience.

0 Kudos
ChrisBCarlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are currently using the loadbalancer.org virtual appliances currently for our security servers for users that access our desktops remotely from zero clients.

0 Kudos
uns33n
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We currently use ZenLoadbalancer virtual appliances, after initial config not had to worry about them which is always good.

Rob

VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tim - round robin would be more ideal than what we're currently doing haha

Thanks everyone who replied. A lot of these products I am not familiar with, so I will check them out. I was looking at ones from Kemp and Barracuda.  Do the ones mentioned offer clustering? Just having 1 would be a SPOF.

Thanks again

Mike

0 Kudos
cgrubbe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Depending on your comfort level with Linux it would be worth looking at haproxy with heartbeat.  I have been running redundant haproxy boxes for over a year now and it has worked out very well.  There is a pretty good article I found a couple of months ago that talks about setting up haproxy for View here.  Not as feature rich as some of the products that can be purchased, but it fills the basic needs for a really good price.

-Chris

housec
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are using Microsoft NLB on the connection servers. Works fine.

0 Kudos
mohissa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We using the VMware Replica for load balancing  the connection server. At the moment my primary connection server is not working the Replica took over and it is handling the load until I find a solution for the problem with our main connection server.

0 Kudos
uns33n
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm out of the office until Thursday 14th February 2013. If your request is urgent please contact the IT Service desk on x2020. Rob

Privacy and Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this e-mail is intended for the named recipient(s) only. It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not an intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, we would be grateful if you would notify us immediately. Thank you for your assistance.

Please note that e-mails sent or received by our staff may be disclosed under the Freedom of Information Act (unless exempt).

0 Kudos
access360
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey Rob,

I've been working on View 5.2 and Workspace in various configs for some PoC work.  I was wondering if you'd be willing to share your Zen LB configs?  I've been using NGIX for reverse proxy, but UDP isn't it's strong suit for PCoIP and my WAN connection are timing out.  I've got Zen installed and partially configured, but still no joy.

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos