VMware Horizon Community
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Load Balancers for Connection Server & Security Server

Has anyone used Barracuda Load Balancers in their view environment.  I'm at the point where I need the redundancy and load balancing.  I've used Barracuda b4 for web server load balancing but am looking for information related to view.

Aside from that, what are your experiences with others like F5, Cisco, or any other ones. 

Thanks!

Larry B.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
griffinboy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We have been using Riverbed Stingray virtual LB appliances (used to be Zeus ZXTM) for some time now for View and many other services, and never had any issues with them. They also offer the same in a tin.

They have a huge amount of traffic management features, GLB, Application aware, TCP&SSL offload, etc, etc.

Here's a link: http://www.riverbed.com/us/products/stingray/

Good luck in finding the right solution for your needs!

VCPID: 40118 (VCP310, VCP4)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ne1?

Any of the VMWare employee's here have any personal favorites or experiences?

I understand that the information posted here by vmware employee's is not nessasarily the opinion or view's of VMWare. Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Larry B.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The ones that I see most in the bigger deployments is F5, we have also a lot of integrations with them.

Just my opinion...

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
lmhealthcare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I use Citrix Netscaler VPX appliances in my deployment. If you set up your Security Servers to return their actual address, and use PCoIP internally, then you will only be using the load balancer for just a couple of seconds. All the desktop traffic bypasses the LB after the Connection Server is assigned.

With this in mind you could actually use the free version of the VPX. It has a limit of 5Mbps throughput, but it would take a pretty big deployment to max these things out. The free license also lets you run an active/standby config, so you have redundant Load Balancers as well.

I found a pretty good resource for setting this up. If I found this before I deployed it, I could have saved some time. Smiley Happy

http://virtualfuture.info/2012/02/free-load-balancing-for-vmware-view-with-citrix-netscaler-vpx-expr...

griffinboy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We have been using Riverbed Stingray virtual LB appliances (used to be Zeus ZXTM) for some time now for View and many other services, and never had any issues with them. They also offer the same in a tin.

They have a huge amount of traffic management features, GLB, Application aware, TCP&SSL offload, etc, etc.

Here's a link: http://www.riverbed.com/us/products/stingray/

Good luck in finding the right solution for your needs!

VCPID: 40118 (VCP310, VCP4)
0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you all for the info.

Larry B.

0 Kudos