VMware Horizon Community
murben
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Linux View Client and RTAV

I am attempting to get RTAV working using the 2.2 Linux client (latest available in the partners repo).  The only place it appears to be available is through the Ubuntu partners repository.  Right now, I am simply trying to confirm whether or not the RTAV components are included in the client distributed through Ubuntu.

In this blog post: http://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2013/11/vmware-horizon-view-real-time-audio-video-rtav-part-2.html it states that it should "just work", but in the Linux Client Documentation at: https://www.vmware.com/pdf/horizon-view/horizon-view-client-linux-document.pdf regarding RTAV it states "Note that this feature is available only with the version of Horizon View Client for Linux provided by third-party vendors."

So, how do I get a copy of the latest available Linux client and be sure that it has RTAV support?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Contact your VMware SE or local VMware Sales team.

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
murben
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have contacted my SE, and unfortunately all he has done is point me to the Ubuntu repo and the earlier blog I listed.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Please send me a PM and I can point out to him/her how to go about to get this to you.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The documentation is correct: The best option is to get an update from your thin client vendor.

The Ubuntu Software Center version of the View client provides basic functionality i.e. connecting to your View desktop with PCoIP.

The other advanced features e.g. printer redirection, USB redirection, RTAV etc all require a level of customization that cannot be done easily with a stock Ubuntu distro.

0 Kudos
jhg03a
Contributor
Contributor

This seems like a bait-and-switch to me.  If they weren't going to support RTAV for the average supported ubuntu desktop, then they should have qualified it as only for 3rd-party thin client vendors.  Instead they said it would just work and dig through logfiles for specific device configuration.  I just spent about 2 hours chasing my tail because I missed that one footnote above.  Don't get me wrong, yay VMware View for supporting linux in the first place!  In the future it would be nice if they were more careful about qualifying what is and isn't supported in the blog posts.

0 Kudos
peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

I'm sorry if the blog post misled you. I shall try to be clearer next time with my statements. If you do want to reach out to discuss RTAV or have any further problems, I am more than happy to try and assist.

Kind Regards

PeterB

0 Kudos
JonathonE
Contributor
Contributor

What are the missing parts in the Ubuntu repository version that is preventing RTAV from working?

0 Kudos