VMware Horizon Community
AdamBil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Linux VMware View PCoIP client found! (finally)

Hi all -

I (finally) stumbled across a VMware View (PCoIP enabled) linux client. You can download it here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

It's from HP's site and is part of their T5545 update. I downloaded the executable and extracted it to a temp folder and then SSH'd over the vmware-view-client_4.0.0-215529_i386.deb to my custom Debian build and installed it. Then I PXE booted the new image and see that it in fact has the PCoIP and multi-head components (bonus!). Smiley Happy

Hope this helps everyone. Not sure why this wasn't available in the first place as competitors are more than happy to hand out their connection clients.

Warmest regards,

--Adam

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
77 Replies
AdamBil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

1.) Extract the contents of the executable to a location

2.) Copy them over to your linux box using USB or SCP or whatever method you choose.

3.) Use "dpkg -i vmware.....deb" and any other package you might find interesting...

Done Smiley Happy

It'll install and you can then drop to a terminal and type: vmware-view

0 Kudos
Jmays
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, the link did work last night. The install was fairly easy now we are trying to test USB devices.

0 Kudos
rluten
Contributor
Contributor

I've managed to get it installed on CentOS using the information in this thread.

I've put a page together with the steps I took, so others can follow it.

http://sites.google.com/site/linuxvdi/

Works like a charm, with PCoIP and USB redirection.

0 Kudos
ChrisKubiak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This will be completely unsupported and likely illegal (against EULA). I believe the reason the open source client doesnt support PCoIP is becasue VMWare doesnt own it. They license it from Teradici. I assume when you buy a HP Thin Client or a copy of VDI Blaster from DevonIT Teradici is getting their cut. With the open client not only would they be giving up privately owned code they couldnt monetize it.

0 Kudos
AdamBil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Chris,

I am pretty sure the majority of the Linux-friendly folk testing this out are pretty aware of the unsupported nature of the download. In lieu of this, I am hoping that VMware will release a Linux client as many competitors (HP with RGS, Citrix with ICA client, etc) release the client portion as a free download. The broker (server) portion is where the product is monetized. The client doesn't work without the server being licensed and available. It's in experimental/engineering phases in many organizations and I assume that's why many people are taking interest in this post. Smiley Happy

Warmest regards,

--Adam

0 Kudos
ChrisKubiak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare has a free open source client.

http://code.google.com/p/vmware-view-open-client/

However, it does not include features that require code that VMWare does not own.

Non-Free

To use MMR, USB, and PCoIP, additional libraries and binaries are available to partners. As these are not available under an Open Source license, we are unable to provide them via Google Code at this time.

Source:

http://code.google.com/p/vmware-view-open-client/wiki/SystemRequirements

Remember, just because VMWare makes their money on the View licenses doesn’t mean that you can freely use code that is not truly open source VMWare did not develop PCoIP, MMR, etc so they cannot simply just give away that code. If they were not bound by their licensing agreements I'm sure those features would already be in the open client.

Tinker if you want, but its unlikely these products will be released as open source so spending time implementing them could be a waste of time as this can not be used in a production environment.

0 Kudos
AdamBil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Chris,

I think the open client isn't necessarily a fully supported VMware product but was meant to help users connect to their VM's using a free-as-in-beer open source product since there is nothing that would "taint" a fully GPL'd system. There are many of us linux users that have non-free components in Linux and the closed source product set goes quite far-n-wide. I like PCoIP and what it has to offer and I like being able to use USB devices but was limited initially to a Microsoft product set and found the Linux platform superior. I have used the Open Client and it didn't satisfy the end-user experience. I apologize if I am speaking out-of-line or incorrectly, but I think many linux users felt the same. If you want to keep everything GPL, the Open Client is available and people can write their own virtual channels to rdesktop or work to develop an open source PCoIP client. If the Linux PCoIP client doesn't get released to the public, then that is another thing I have to consider when making the broker decision since there are many companies fighting for market penetration.

Warmest regards,

--Adam

0 Kudos
jbrazio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ENHANCEMENTS:

- Provides the VMware View 4.0.1 Certified Client-Side Broker Agent with:

• PCoIP support

• VMware USB redirection

• Secure tunneling support

• Improved error handling

• Dual-screen support

• Standard VMware client interface

muahaha evil face

kudos Adam !

----- If you find this post helpful please don't forget to award points to it.
0 Kudos
ChrisKubiak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is a very valid point when considering what broker you are going to go with ultimately. Just so everyone is clear, this isn't about VMWare sitting up in some ivory tower laughing at all the peasants below while they sit idly by the USB flash drive with the PCoIP source.

They do not own PCoIP they can’t disseminate it freely they are bound by the contract\agreement they have with Teradici. It would be in VMWares best interest to get the Open Client up to feature parity with the Windows client, but if they havn’t done it by now it likely won’t happen (barring VMWare simply buying out Teradici or renegotiating the license\agreement).

That said PCoIP can be had for very cheap. DevonITs VDI Blaster is only $20 (less depending on your agreements) a seat and has PCoIP support. Does that software fit your environment? Maybe not, but its likely other vendors will develop similar products.

0 Kudos
AdamBil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Other points to consider: VMware doesn't have to release an Open Source client for Linux. Leave it closed source. They distribute a Windows closed client which contains Teradici intellectual property in it. They SHOULD distribute a closed-source Linux client all the same and state that it's not within the GPL scope.

The cost of any client outweighs the value-add. We are looking to deliver a "service" and that service (broker) is where the chargeback should occur. The appliance using that service (legacy PC) has already been paid for and should only be used as the conduit to the service provided.

0 Kudos
ChrisKubiak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is true and I would be ecstatic if they would as well, but do you really think that VMWare has an army of software engineers that cant figure out how to develop and deploy the binaries? Do you think they never thought about it? If they have not done it by now there is a reason and its likely because they are not allowed to either by the agreements they have with the third party source holders or their partners that license, develop, and support client products.

You said yourself that you like the performance and features of PCoIP so if you want to play you have to do it by their rules.

There are alot of things in the world that "SHOULD" be but are not. I want to run an Exchange server (service) and I already have my clients (Windows PC) it doesnt mean I can just buy Exchange and go to town I need to buy the CALs that go along with it. As much as it sucks to see the full featured free Windows client without a compareable Linux offering, from a business perspective I can how that might make sense to them.

0 Kudos
AdamBil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do think VMware has an army of software engineers. I do however think they are constrained on support and need to concentrate on initial release. My gut says we'll see a VMware-sanctioned PCoIP-enabled linux client in the future hence why I am engineering around it now.

0 Kudos
ChrisKubiak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don’t really see how downloading and using software (potentially illegally) can be considered as “engineering” around it, but to each his own.

I hope that we see a fully supported Linux client get released some day but I won't be holding my breath for it.

0 Kudos
AdamBil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ah, let me explain and hope this clarifies how this is considered "engineering". Smiley Happy

1.) You are COMPLETELY correct. Downloading the software and using the software isn't engineering and I don't think I ever said that but please keep me honest here.

2.) The engineering occurs when testing the product's capabilities, attempts on O/S and "layer 2" integration, and automation via scripting.

3.) The engineering also occurs when attempting to integrate with underlying subsystems within the linux distribution / window managers / workspace management / X server components / etc (considered layer 1.5 in my book).

Hope this helps in painting a better picture...

0 Kudos
anonimous
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Knows someone if Is it legally to use this client vmware-view-client_4.0.1-235010_i386.deb from HP:

installed on ubuntu, debian or safe made linux in the company?

0 Kudos
komma
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I'm using VMware View 4.0.1 with PCoIP support, but when connecting to a Leadtek VP200H, the client tries to connect three times, resulting in "The desktop has unexpectedly disconnected."

I'm attaching the Hostcard's log. I've inserted blank lines between the initialization and connecting phase.

Does anybody has experienced related issues?

Regards

0 Kudos
komma
Contributor
Contributor

push...

0 Kudos
anonimous
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has someone succesfully installed vmware-view-client_4.0.1-235010_i386.deb,  without errors on Ubuntu?

0 Kudos
befrenchy
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to run the vmware view 4.5 on Ubuntu 10.10. Everything worked fine except for USB redirection. After exhausting all avenues, i tried Debian 6. After a few tweaks vmware view runs perfectly with PCoIP and USB redirection. Let me know if you would like the details on how to make it work.  I am now going to setup LTS on a Debian server and use PXE on my clients and boot to VMware View. I will post an update once successfull.

0 Kudos
befrenchy
Contributor
Contributor

Finally got USB redirection to work with ubuntu 10.10 and LTS. When installing the vmware view client 4.5, you will get a warning that /proc/bus/usb is required for redirection support, this message can be ignored. However, for USB redirection to work properly, you will need create the following link within chroot /opt/ltsp/i386:

ln -s /usr/lib/vmware/vmware-view-usb /etc/vmware/usb.link

Once this file is created, rebuilt the client image and reboot your client. Your USB flash drive should then be detected inside your virtual machine.

0 Kudos