VMware Horizon Community
JohnnyBravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Linking thin client to virtual desktop

Guys, I am looking to provide some location awareness to my current View 4 implementation. I basically need to allow the thin clients in one room access to a particular virtual desktop but the user to access all other desktops when they are in a different room\different thin client.

At the moment it only seems possible to link a desktop to an end user and not to a thin client name or mac address etc.

Is there anyway I can link a desktop or desktop pool to a thin client device so that the desktop is only launched from that location?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
buckethead
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

We are able to do something like this today. We use Wyse as our thin client and when the thin clients boot up they go to a ftp site to get their configuration files. The configuration file can be modified to configure how the view client on the linux thin clients will work. So to handle your request we would put classroom A on a network that has a config file that automatically logs on to a certain virtual desktop pool. In all networks they would get a config file that allows them to get the menu and choose which Desktop Pool to login to.

I am not sure which thin client vendor you have, but I am assuming Wyse is not the only one with some type of setup like this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you make use of the View client GPO's or command line options to specify the pool to connect to? This would allow you to point a subset of clients to a particular pool without limiting the user's login account?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
JohnnyBravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have done some digging and found this...

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware-View-4-LocationAwareness-WP-EN.pdf

which provides me with some information but I was wondering who has done this, best way and experiences please. Any breakdown of what would be needed in a script would be very useful for me too.

I am aware that there are tools such as PowerFuse which can help with this but unfortunatly not an option due to budget constraints Smiley Sad

thanks

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is that really what you are looking for? The registry based information that is passed through only comes after you login to a particular desktop and the tagging only is really only going to limit what pools can be seen from a particular connection broker or security server. You still have the problem of directing the thin clients in this room to the one desktop you want them to access. I guess you could dedicate them a connection broker and just tag this particular desktop for that connection broker.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
buckethead
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

We are able to do something like this today. We use Wyse as our thin client and when the thin clients boot up they go to a ftp site to get their configuration files. The configuration file can be modified to configure how the view client on the linux thin clients will work. So to handle your request we would put classroom A on a network that has a config file that automatically logs on to a certain virtual desktop pool. In all networks they would get a config file that allows them to get the menu and choose which Desktop Pool to login to.

I am not sure which thin client vendor you have, but I am assuming Wyse is not the only one with some type of setup like this.

0 Kudos
JohnnyBravo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Perfect, I was completly over cooking the situation and completly forgot that I could just tie the desktops deployed in a particular room to a desktop with some careful manual procedures. Not much admin overhead anyway.

Thanks

0 Kudos