VMware Horizon Community
gitiSIE
Contributor
Contributor

Linked clones en vMotion (standard not storage)

Hi,

I have some linked clones on a cluster of two servers (ESXi 6, vCenter 6, Horizon 7). One of the two servers has a hardware issue and I need to stop it. May I vMotion manually all the desktop VMs to the other host of the cluster through vCenter/vSphere client ? Or should I migrate the differently and how ? Is there something I should be careful of ? (I have read that no migration and no storage vMotion with Horizon).

The datastores are shared to the two hosts of the cluster (SAN) so I don't need to do storage vMotion.

Regards

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
gitiSIE
Contributor
Contributor

This is how to migrate replica, but it doesn't really answer my question.

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

i consider, after your vmotion also it can access its parent VM. in that case you can vmotion the VM.

0 Kudos
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vMotion of Replicas has been supported for some time. You just need to perform the task in a precise manner.

1. Disable provisioning on the pool(s).

2. Wait, verify all composer tasks stop.

3. Place host with bad HW in maintenance mode.

4. Sit back, watch all the VMs, including the replica get sent off to the other host.

In the old 5.x days, this was a major pain due to the protected nature of the replicas.

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos