VMware Horizon Community
vmmaj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Linked clone rapid disk consumption on vSAN

Hello All,

I'm having an issue where after a fresh recompose to push out updates, the system/vSAN experiences rapid disk growth. I am assuming that it is due to the Virus Software download new Signature DBs to all the desktops but the space that is being taken doesn't add up.

Example:

Yesterday - Updated golden image for WSUS updates and Chrome updates and recomposed all desktop pools. All looked fine for several hours then at 8:00pm the free disk on the vSAN dropped by 5 TB in a matter of 15 minutes, Then at 9:45 the free disk dropped by another 1.5 TB in 15min, it has been relatively steady since then (slow somewhat expected growth since). I have insured that there is no disk optimizations configured on the desktops (we had that issue earlier with defrag causing disk consumption). As mention I can only think it is our AV software ( Cybereason ) but my problems with that theory is the desktops would have to be consuming about almost 15 GB each for that theory but they are not. This seems to be happening since Windows version 1909. 

Anyone experience anything similar? Thanks all.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

What Storage Policy is configured for the linked clone part? Horizon for linked clones creates specific GPOs for vSAN with these characteristics:

fabio1975_0-1616748438507.png

This is the document with the best practices:

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsan/vmware-horizon-7-on-...

fabio1975_1-1616748547051.png

If you want you can change the configurations of the assigned storage policies

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos