VMware Horizon Community
Hotrod76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Linked clone provisioning error

Hey everyone, has anyone experienced the below error before?  If so, what did you do to resolve the issue?

Environment Note

VMware Horizon View 7.1

ESXi 6.0 update 3

VM hardware version is 11

Windows 10 Enterprise build 1703 (Brand new build)

Deployment type - Instant clone

Error

Error during provisioning: Cloning of VM has failed: Fault type is VC_FAULT_FATAL - com.vmware.vim25.NoPermission fault was thrown by the VC server:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hotrod76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After working with VMware support, the Linked Clone provisioning error I was seeing is now resolved. Please review the below the steps if you experience the same error.

Gentlemen many thanks for your time on the call earlier.

We went through the following steps to get you to a resolution:

1 - powered on the parent VM
2 - ran the ipconfig /release and flushdns commands
3 - powered down the VM
4 - took new snapshot
5 - powered on the parent
6 - created new test instant clone pool
7 - initiated a new publish operation, pointing the pool to the new snapshot ("snap 2").
8 - Cloning succeeded. VMs were built in vCenter and became visible in View Admin console
9 - you tested logging into one of the new machines via the Horizon client and able to login successfully.

As discussed, please see page 5 in the documentation below:

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/vmware-horizon-view-inst...

"The process of creating instant clones differs from that used for linked clones in the following way: The cloning process creates a running parent VM from the replica VM.

At creation time, the instant clone shares the memory of the running parent VM from which it is created. Instant clones use copy-on-write for memory and disk management. Instant clones are based on a running parent VM, derived from a master VM"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

IS this a new setup? Looking at the error

- com.vmware.vim25.NoPermission fault

looks like the account the view composer is using doesn't have permissions in vcenter where it needs to create the VMs

0 Kudos
Hotrod76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes and no.  The customer already had Horizon View 7 in place.  I am assisting with adding VMware Instant Clone functionality to the environment.  We already specified the AD account Instant clone should be using in the Instant Clone Domain Admin screen.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What about the instant clone ad account, does that meet the permissions requirements

Create a User Account for Instant-Clone Operations

it should basically be the same permissions the view composer needed but I'd check. I'd also check the vcenter user if its permissions were limited, instant clones may have added some, I can't remember if we needed to change it.

View Composer and Instant Clone Privileges Required for the vCenter Server User

in my experience once we get the permissions right on either of those accounts instant clones should work.

0 Kudos
Hotrod76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are double checking permissions now.  We also opened a support case with VMware.  Hopefully they will be able to shed some light on the issue.

0 Kudos
Hotrod76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware support determined we were missing the reset password permission. We applied the permission and now we are seeing a device0 error message.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If your using computer based assignments with Vmware Appvolumes or something similar make sure you restrict the attachments to the specific clones. The instant clone template thats create is a machine that starts with it and a bunch of numbers. I found that if I had an appstack attached to that, the cloning process failed with a similar message because it couldn't clone the attached appstack.So if your vms start with win10 or something similar restrict the attachments to vms that start with that string.Also make sure your parent image doesn't have a cd attached either.

0 Kudos
Hotrod76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We double checked that the CD-Rom did not have anything connected.  We resolved the user account permissions issue.  We ran into an issue with cloning the master outside of View.  So, we are starting to build a new master.

0 Kudos
Hotrod76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After working with VMware support, the Linked Clone provisioning error I was seeing is now resolved. Please review the below the steps if you experience the same error.

Gentlemen many thanks for your time on the call earlier.

We went through the following steps to get you to a resolution:

1 - powered on the parent VM
2 - ran the ipconfig /release and flushdns commands
3 - powered down the VM
4 - took new snapshot
5 - powered on the parent
6 - created new test instant clone pool
7 - initiated a new publish operation, pointing the pool to the new snapshot ("snap 2").
8 - Cloning succeeded. VMs were built in vCenter and became visible in View Admin console
9 - you tested logging into one of the new machines via the Horizon client and able to login successfully.

As discussed, please see page 5 in the documentation below:

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/vmware-horizon-view-inst...

"The process of creating instant clones differs from that used for linked clones in the following way: The cloning process creates a running parent VM from the replica VM.

At creation time, the instant clone shares the memory of the running parent VM from which it is created. Instant clones use copy-on-write for memory and disk management. Instant clones are based on a running parent VM, derived from a master VM"

0 Kudos