VMware Horizon Community
mvanwieringen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Linked Clones not working?

For some reason I cannot seem to get the linked clones working. Here is what I have done:

I created a Windows XP VM and installed the VMware View Agent inside it. I then converted the VM to a template. Next, in View Administrator, I click the "Add..." button on the "Desktops and Pools" tab. These are the selections I made:

- Automated Desktop Pool

- Persistent

- Use linked clone technology...: <ticked>

- Unique ID: SOE1

- Display name: Standard SOE1

- Description: Standard SOE1

- State: Enabled

- When VM is not in use: Ensure VM is always powered on

- Automatic logoff after disconnect: Never

- Refresh OS disk on logoff: Never

- Allow users to reset their desktop: <not ticked>

- Provisioning: Enabled

- Number of desktops: 5

- VM naming pattern: SOE1_WS0

- Stop provisioning on error: <ticked>

- Advanced Settings: <left as default>

The next step is to select the Parent VM, but my template VM does not appear. I can select my template VM when I do not select the "Use linked clone technology..." option.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Marc.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aj205
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Just a few things to double check:

1. The parent VM should be shutdown.

2. The parent VM can't be a part of another pool (this is the most common reason why the parent doesn't show).

3. Be sure you have taken a snapshot w/ the VM shutdown.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
aj205
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Just a few things to double check:

1. The parent VM should be shutdown.

2. The parent VM can't be a part of another pool (this is the most common reason why the parent doesn't show).

3. Be sure you have taken a snapshot w/ the VM shutdown.

0 Kudos
mvanwieringen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks aj205,

The VMware documentation I have was not very clear on taking the snapshot and that this has to be done with the VM powered off.

Marc.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Are you sure this has been lifted directly from the View Admin manual

Creating a Parent VM Snapshot

Once View Agent has been installed on the base image you must use VirtualCenter to take a snapshot of the system in its powered‐down state. This snapshot will be used as the baseline configuration for the first set of linked clone desktops anchored to the Parent VM.

NOTE The Parent VM must be completely shut down before you take the snapshot.

Page 109 to be exact.

Another very common mistake is that you are not running at U3 level for both ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

moved to the View Manager Forum

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
mvanwieringen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tom,

Paragraph 2.13 Create a Parent VM for Use by View Composer of the file PD05-P-View-Installation and Configuration Procedures-v3.0a.doc is not very clear on the exact procedure.

Marc.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Mark,

where did you get that doc from, it looks like a VMworld one for the title.

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
mvanwieringen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tom,

I downloaded the documentation from the VMware website about 3 - 4 weeks ago.

Marc.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Odd, I can't find any mention of it now, and it is very odd that VMware would have a .DOC for download they usually post in PDF format. where on the site did you get it from?

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
trurodh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am a bit late to this party, but just thought I would post for future folks. The VM must not be a template for linked clones to work. It must be a VM with a snapshot. The snapshot must also be created without the virtual machines memory. So either take the snapshot with the vm powered off or uncheck the virtual machine memory portion. It is in the doc, but if you are like me thats the last place I look sometimes :). Once that is done you will see the option to choose the VM for the linked clones.

Thanks. Rod

0 Kudos