VMware Horizon Community
HCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Linked Clones - do they get destroyed after user logs off?

Hi,

Just wondering if you setup Linked Clones, are they dynamically created and destroyed as users log on and log off or do they stay around and take up storage space?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

One thing I am kind of suprised is that it seems the clones take up about 1Gb of space in my case as I set them up for 512MB of RAM and then it is also using 384MB or space for something else. The other thing I am suprised with is the amount of storage needed to deploy this linked-clone. Basically you need the Parent VM with snapshots and basically a duplicate of this a folder called something like "replica..." and then of course my clones.

That is for performance. by putting a replica on each LUN you are reducing he strain on the master disk. and if you are only doing a small amount of clones you will not see as much storage saving as when you are increasing the numbers

>It does not seem like a very clean deployment or a huge space saver.

That is an eronous statement, the lager numbers you do the greater saving you gain

>I am not exactly sure how other like Citrix or doing this one-many deployments.

Exactly the same way

On top of the storage requirements is the AD / DNS clean up which adds to administration time. I am sure VMware will work to clean up and streamline some of these issues (hopefully).

Short of running a remove from domain script when the machine is logged off, not much you can do really.

On another note: I am looking for find instructions on creating a bare bones XP VM with the basics required for AD, Antivirus, Office, Outlook, VMware, NAS & Netowrk shares etc. I really would like to get it down as small as I can without removing too much functionality. It has to be useful for normal user.....???

Do as search on the forums there are ateast 40 threads on this subject.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

There's a setting for this when you setup your VDI Pool, I forget it's like the 6th page in and you have a few options right before selecting the amount of Linked Clones to deploy, you just have to check or uncheck it (unchecked by default).

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As has already been stated it is an option, the default is for the clone to remain and if none-persistant be returned to the pool or if persistant remain tied to the original user who logged on.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
HCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have noticed with Linked Clones that when you destroy the VM after use it does not clean up the DNS entries and such...it looks like this is will create a mess in AD and DNS ??

0 Kudos
knudt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This is correct, and has been one of my biggest complaints about VMware's product. What I would recommend is a script that runs on a weekly basis to delete old computer accounts and setup DNS scavenging.

~If you find this or any other post helpful, please award points. Also mark thread as answered if question was answered successfully.~ Brian Knudtson vExpert, VCP, VCAP
0 Kudos
HCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One thing I am kind of suprised is that it seems the clones take up about 1Gb of space in my case as I set them up for 512MB of RAM and then it is also using 384MB or space for something else. The other thing I am suprised with is the amount of storage needed to deploy this linked-clone. Basically you need the Parent VM with snapshots and basically a duplicate of this a folder called something like "replica..." and then of course my clones. It does not seem like a very clean deployment or a huge space saver. I am not exactly sure how other like Citrix or doing this one-many deployments. On top of the storage requirements is the AD / DNS clean up which adds to administration time. I am sure VMware will work to clean up and streamline some of these issues (hopefully).

On another note: I am looking for find instructions on creating a bare bones XP VM with the basics required for AD, Antivirus, Office, Outlook, VMware, NAS & Netowrk shares etc. I really would like to get it down as small as I can without removing too much functionality. It has to be useful for normal user.....???

Thoughts.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

One thing I am kind of suprised is that it seems the clones take up about 1Gb of space in my case as I set them up for 512MB of RAM and then it is also using 384MB or space for something else. The other thing I am suprised with is the amount of storage needed to deploy this linked-clone. Basically you need the Parent VM with snapshots and basically a duplicate of this a folder called something like "replica..." and then of course my clones.

That is for performance. by putting a replica on each LUN you are reducing he strain on the master disk. and if you are only doing a small amount of clones you will not see as much storage saving as when you are increasing the numbers

>It does not seem like a very clean deployment or a huge space saver.

That is an eronous statement, the lager numbers you do the greater saving you gain

>I am not exactly sure how other like Citrix or doing this one-many deployments.

Exactly the same way

On top of the storage requirements is the AD / DNS clean up which adds to administration time. I am sure VMware will work to clean up and streamline some of these issues (hopefully).

Short of running a remove from domain script when the machine is logged off, not much you can do really.

Do as search on the forums there are ateast 40 threads on this subject.

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos