VMware Horizon Community
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Linked Clones and SCSI controller

I created an automated linked-clone pool that points to a Windows XP parent vm. I used the LSI Logic Parallel controller and set the disk to SCSI (0:0). The problem is, after the pool is created, when the user logs in, they get prompted for a username and password with this message "You must be a member of the administrators group on this computer to install this hardware. SCSI Controller"

I do not make our domain users members of the local Administrators group, so this creates a big problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please perform following steps.

-----------------------------------------

• Create a fresh Virtual machine with  custom SCSI controller. (Keep Floppy drive configuration)
  • Extract the downloaded driver symmpi_wXP_1201800.zip (version 1.28.03)
  • The driver floppy image can be pointed by editing VM, floppy.
  • Initiate Windows XP installation, press F6 when asks and and point to the driver in the floppy
  • Continue and complete the installaton.
  • Now use this VM as a parent VM, and it should solve your problem

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

One reason could be, the driver installation is not complete in the parent VM. to confirm this, revert to the parent VM snapshotpower on and reboot. Check whether the same message is displayed there. If yes, install the driver, reboot then shut down. take a new snapshot and provision pools usingthat snapshot.

If the above steps does not solve your problem , please let me know whether you face the same issue with both sysprep and quick prep

VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

In the Parent VM, prior to making the pool, I logged into to the console with a standard account and did not get this message. It was only when I created the automated pool. I was using QuickPrep. I did not try Sysprep but I will do that tonight and report back.

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

okay, so this is what I tried. I removed snapshot from parent machine, I created local user (non administrative account), then ran sysprep on that parent vm. When it came up, I logged in as the non admin user and I did not receive this message about needing to install the SCSI driver.

I then took a snapshot of the parent, created a new linked clone pool, this time using sysprep. Once completed, I logged in using an entitled user and again got the message about needing to install the driver.

Also, if I create an automated pool using full virtual machines and select sysprep customization, i do not have the same problem. Its only with linked-clones. Maybe I should have configured it to use IDE instead of SCSI afterall

I don't get what I'm missing here.

any help would be appreciated.

Mike

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

For linked clone pool, what will happen is an additional disk will be configured which ends up in driver installation. But for full clone pool this will not happen and that is why there is no error displayed for that. But since the user account does not have local admin privilage should not impact here because all customization that is performed there is using the admin account added in VC Server configuration page of View administrator. Hope that admin account have enough permissions.

Here my doubt is a post configuration of the newly installed hardware (for these  VMs it is a new disk) requires permission and this happens when the first user login. You may try any of the following workarounds:

1. On the parent VM , add new harddisk, which is similar to a persistent disk and reboot (if you login using user account you should get the same error message) authenticate with credential which has permission to install the driver. Once drivers are installed rmove the disk , shut down and take a snapshot.
  2. A group policy to provide special permission for the users to ensure the driver installation is not blocked

I am not very sure about the first one. But if that was the case then it could be resolved by an additional reboot after customization which did not happened during pool provisioning. Either the OS image type is demanding an additional reboot, whcih usually does not happen with other image types or that could be bug from product. I would suggest to tryout above two options to know more about it and will encourage calling VMware support.

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For testing, the account that does provisioning for view was added to Domain Admins, which has enough permissions.

I came across this KB which describes my problem, http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101709...

I have downloaded the driver as recommended, but when I installed Windows XP, I did receive this message "the software that you are installing for this hardware "LSI Adapter, Ultra320 SCSI 2000 series, w/1020/1030" has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP

This is the driver VMware recommended installing, so I'm not sure if this is causing my issue?

I can try your suggestions, as well.

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for sharing the KB.

Driver signing will not be an issue. You can even disable the driver signing from the domain group policy.

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks, I will try your suggestions tomorrow. For now what I did was, created the pool again and when it was finished, I restarted the clone before logging in but  had the same results. I also created the pool without redirecting the temp files to a separate non persistent disk, but that didnt help either.

I did not have this problem on my Windows 7 linked clones.

If you think of anything else, please let me know.

thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
DwayneL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think sivaprasad is bang on, i saw the twitter KB go bye awhile ago.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1031986

Hope everything works out tomorrow

-Dwayne Lessner
0 Kudos
TPJacob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

PLS check if you have created the vmware user group as per the admin man and added domain users to this group. Let me copy from view installation 4.5 guide below:- Check all that applies in your context.

Creating Groups for View Users

You should create groups for different types of View users in Active Directory. For example, you can create a

group called VMware View Users for your View desktop users and another group called VMware View

Administrators for users that will administer View desktops.

Creating a User Account for vCenter Server

You must create a user account in Active Directory to use with vCenter Server. You specify this user account

when you add a vCenter Server instance in View Administrator.

The user account must be in the same domain as your View Connection Server host or in a trusted domain. If

you use View Composer, you must add the user account to the local Administrators group on the vCenter

Server computer.

You must give the user account privileges to perform certain operations in vCenter Server. If you use View

Composer, you must give the user account additional privileges. See

“Configuring User Accounts for vCenter

Server and View Composer,”

on page 51 for information on configuring these privileges.

Create a User Account for View Composer

If you use View Composer, you must create a user account in Active Directory to use with View Composer.

View Composer requires this account to join linked-clone desktops to your Active Directory domain.

To ensure security, you should create a separate user account to use with View Composer. By creating a

separate account, you can guarantee that it does not have additional privileges that are defined for another

purpose. You can give the account the minimum privileges that it needs to create and remove computer objects

in a specified Active Directory container. For example, the View Composer account does not require domain

administrator privileges.

Procedure

1 In Active Directory, create a user account in the same domain as your View Connection Server host or in

a trusted domain.

2 Add the

Create Computer Objects, Delete Computer Objects, and Write All Properties

permissions to

0 Kudos
TPJacob
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, the issue is the correct SCSI driver was not installed!! discard my previous reply!! 

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm going to try adding the second drive, installing the driver and then removing it....later on

I'm pretty sure I'm using the right driver though. According to KB 1017097 and 1007035, I should be using "LSI driver for LSI20320-R. Make sure you get the Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL) 1.20.18.00 driver for Windows XP (LSI20320-R_xp_50700_01034132IT_1201800_1005239.zip )."

Underneath that, it says "The newer driver, 1.28.03, works for ESX 4.0.". I tried both, however, I do not see a WHQL for 1.28.03

I am running ESXI 4.1 and using hardware version 7 on my XP VM. I have tried with a SP2 install and SP3 install. If I'm using the wrong driver, please let me know which one I should be using. I was hoping that was the issue, but can't figure out if I really am using the wrong driver.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please perform following steps.

-----------------------------------------

• Create a fresh Virtual machine with  custom SCSI controller. (Keep Floppy drive configuration)
  • Extract the downloaded driver symmpi_wXP_1201800.zip (version 1.28.03)
  • The driver floppy image can be pointed by editing VM, floppy.
  • Initiate Windows XP installation, press F6 when asks and and point to the driver in the floppy
  • Continue and complete the installaton.
  • Now use this VM as a parent VM, and it should solve your problem
0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is exactly what I did, but I will try it again, either today or tonight. I'll report back. I appreciate all the replies. Such a great community.

0 Kudos
jake200
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I ran into the same issue with XP systems, linked clones and a persistent drive. When using a persistent drive a secondary drive is being created and is trying to install the LSI driver. I called support and they walked me through the process of download the correct driver and after creating a new snapshot and recomposing the systems I wasn't prompt for admin rights.

What I do now when building images or better yet on your template. I have a driver folder on my local system called LSI with the correct drivers and then I copy that folder to sys32 on my VM. I then go to device manager and update the LSI driver and point it to the LSI folder in sys32 folder. I reboot system and then do the rest of my configuration.

This process has worked really good for me.

npeter
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just to make sure your parent VM does have a scsi disk, please check the VM settings of parent VM and see if it has a scsi controller or it is using IDE hard disk.

-nObLe
0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Also, as npeter told, I hope you are not using IDE disk. While  creating a virtual machine, you should choose custom type, and seect a  SCSI disk instead of IDE Disk.And in such case , you must have to  provide driver through floppy to continue with OS installation

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Jake200 , thanks I will try your suggestion as well.

To the others, I am definately using a SCSI , it is SCSI (0:0).

It's interesting now, I just installed Windows XP on my production environment using the LSI driver and did not get the message that the driver hasnt passed Windows compatbility testing. hmmmmm I wonder if it's my lab environment. I'm going to start from scratch tonight

Thanks everyone

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I do not want to jinx myself, but i just reinstalled XP using the WHQL 1.20.18.00 and I did not get the message about it being possibly incompatible with XP......I have a good feeling this is going to work, I just don't understand why VMware put in the KB that "The newer driver, 1.28.03, works for ESX 4.0." There is no WHQL for 1.28.03

I'm slowly rebuilding my ParentVM with all the updates and guest os customizations. I'll be reporting back as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Turns out it was indeed the driver. Using the WHQL 1.20.18.00 worked like a charm. Even tho, I'm running esxi  4.1, I guess you can't use the 1.28.03 driver.

thanks to everyone who contributed. I truly appreciate the help.

0 Kudos