VMware Horizon Community
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

Linked Clone creates a 10 mb 2nd Hard Disk

Details = ESX 4.0 U1, VC 4.0 U1, VIew 4.0

I have deployed a non-persistent linked clone pool. Once the linked clones are created, the linked clones have a 2nd hard disk created.

The master image does not have a 2nd disk. Has anyone seen an issue like this?

Thanks,

-vmsf

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Lawrence
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry not a view expert, so others can chime in with the exact info - but my understanding is this is expected when you choose to create a User Data disk (i think or is it the something else). Smallest NTFS partition is 10MB. My recollection of the docs is that only a few KB (or something like that) is needed, but due ot NTFS, yo uget a 10MB partition/virtual drive.

From an architecture standpoint, saving that somewhere that does thin-provisioning (like NFS) so you don't waste the space may be helpful.

lots of others issues around disk placement, but basically with the options you've chosen for your linked-clone, the 10MB disk is expected and documented

0 Kudos
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response Lawrence.

These are non-persistent desktops so there should not be any additional drives.

However since you mentioned documentation, can you pls point to where I can find it.

Thanks again,

-vmsf

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

This is a disk that is used to write down information that quickprep uses for the customization.

Its is working as designed and should not be assigned any driveletter.

This is new from View 4, this information was previously written down in the UDD but we have now separated the two.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Linjo.

Is this documented somewhere?

-vmsf

0 Kudos
jusrr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Linjo,

Can you provide a link to where this is documented it would really help.

Thx

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure if this is documented anywhere...

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos