VMware Horizon Community
ventureChris
Contributor
Contributor

Linked Clone Pools with Chained/Nested Snapshots Question

Hey everyone,

I have a customer that we are building a View environment for, and I wanted to re-over a proposed snapshot configuration for their linked clone pools. Attached is a diagram explaining how the nested pools may pan out if this works.

Essentially, we want to use nested snapshots to build multiple desktop pools based off the same desktop image. The main goal of this would be to simplify image updating, but I'm curious if this would work...to apply windows updates for example, would I need to updated the 'latest' snapshot for each desktop pool - essentially update each 'tree' of snapshots? Or is there a way for our customer to apply windows updates at the top of the tree at the main image and somehow build that into the snapshot chain without breaking it?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

0 Kudos
4 Replies
marcdrinkwater
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It would work but in my opinion it's not great.

It might save on storage but it doesn't simplify the image updating process, it would make it more confusing.  If you wanted to add something to the image, lets say a plugin, you'd then have to add it to each snapshot tree.  Thus negating any benefit gained from having a single image.

TDRoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree with Marc that this may save you in some areas, but in updating the snapshots/images, it would become a big hassle.

ventureChris
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys, that's what I suspected and wanted to verify. I'm going to recommend that our customer consolidate their desktop pools, if possible, and we'll go from there.

0 Kudos
WillFawkes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Think of how confusing this would be for someone else to come in and take it over, and you'll see why it shouldn't be done that way.

I think everyone has the idea at some point, and then looks again and shakes their head.

0 Kudos