VMware Horizon Community
InflxxEC
Contributor
Contributor

Linked Clone MI Domain Question

Hi,

I have a master image I use with linked clones and am running into a couple issues not sure if someone could help.

1. Can the master image be part of the domain or does it still need to only be local? I am running into issues with admin rights to users who get the desktops.

2. Windows Updates - on my master image i check windows updates and everything up to date - but when I deploy a desktop the user gets windows updates message and it is for .NET Framework 4. Why does this not show up on the master image. Is it because it is not on a domain?

3. Installed programs on the persistent 😧 drive. How can people keep the programs they install? I thought adding them to D would work but it hasn't for anyone.

This is a new PoC installation. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

1:  I've heard of people adding the master templates to the domain without any issues.   If you have a reason it might be worth a try.

2:   After your updates you are shutting down the machine, creating a new snapshot,  and deploying the desktop based on that snapshot?

3:  A persistent disk will keep everything intact but I don't think it would help if the application installs any hooks into folders on the C:\ drive.   Have you went into the disk post recompose to see if all the folders are still on D:\.   Also have you thought about ThinApp?

0 Kudos
InflxxEC
Contributor
Contributor

#2 - Yes, after updates I am shutting down the machine and creating a new snapshot then deploying a linked clone based on that. I am not sure if that .NET Framework 4 is tied to be on a domain or something?

#3 - All the folders are still in D and the application shows up in start menu but unable to open the application. I will be doing some testing on this soon. But I was led to believe that if users want to install there own programs they should install on the persistent (D) drive as they will still be there on a Recompose.

0 Kudos