VMware Horizon Community
S_Grimbuhler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Licencing question - View Premier bundle

Hi

I guss I know the answer, but I try to ask my question (good news append...).

For a customer, we create a completly isolated and dedicated infrastructure. nothing will be shared with nothing else than View desktop infrastructure.

My question is can I host my Domain controler, my Anti-virus server and my file server on my ESX licenced with View? I know, the EULA says NO, no other workflow than View Desktops, vCenter, VCS and VSS. but if the Active Directory and the Anti-virus solution is completely didicated to View Desktop, can I host them om my View ESXs?

thanks for your answer.

Best regards.

Stéphane Grimbuhler

Senior Virtualization & Storage consultant (VCP / VCAP-DCA)

VMware Instructor (VCI)

My Blog : www.virtualgeek.ch

Grimbuhler Stéphane (VCP, VCAP-DCA, VCI) www.virtualgeek.ch (My virtualization blog)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
sketchy00
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't have the answer for you but it really is an interesting question.  I'm interested in knowing too, as I may have a similar use-case.  If I'm hearing you correctly, you are saying that since View is being deployed in a totally new/isolated location, and View has these other requirements (AD Controllers, etc.) wouldn't those be allowed as well?   We already know from the EULA that it would be the case for supporting View Services tied more directly to View (transfer server, security server, etc.), but what about the items like DC's that are more on the fringes.

Hmm...

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

as per the EULA, the answer is no. If you are going to run Sever Guests, they have to be your connection/security servers and vCenter

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

It is an interesting question but I'm going to side with Troy on this one.    Per the EULA the answer would have to be no.

0 Kudos
portyman
Contributor
Contributor

we were told by vmware that you can run any server in the view environment that is for the desktops to work, eg AD,AV, DHCP, Vcentre , vcomposer etc we also are in the process of setting up an isolated enviroment with seperate AD/file server/AV, we would not use view if we had to buy a seperate farm for doing AV/AD servers and another for desktops. In the future we may need a normal vm server environment if app/db server are gointo expand this enviroment, but for now thats not needed as its web based in the VDI. Talk it over with your vmware account manager

0 Kudos