VMware Horizon Community
Potter_County
Contributor
Contributor

Law Enforcement Video Playback Choppy

Anyone else using VMware View to playback video taken in law enforcement vehicles (patrol cars, etc.)?

What we have:

We currently use VMware View 6.0 and Dell/Wyse P25 clients.  All is well except we can't view videos that were taken in patrol cars. 

Our sheriff's vehicles use the Panasonic Arbitrator platform.  The video files are .av (AVC codec) and require a stand-alone player (the idea being, the videos contain metadata like vehicle speed, lat/long, officer name, etc. and can't be altered so that they remain admissible as evidence for prosecution).

What we're seeing:

Video and audio work great for about 2-3 seconds.  Video then looks like it's in slow motion and audio is choppy/unusable.

What we've tried:

Installing the playback app on the parent image.

Thin-Apping the playback app.

Adding vCPUs/cores/RAM

Tweaking about every setting in View Administrator for the pool in question (all at Dell/VMware's direction).

Tweaking PCOIP settings in the ADM in group policy

We use Dell M620 blades for VDI.  We even tried (at Dell/VMware's suggestion) a stand-alone Dell R730 server with K2 GRID video cards.

We're at a brick wall, and this is putting a damper on our fledgling VDI rollout.  Yes, we SHOULD have tested all of the apps on VDI as part of the pilot testing....  No, we didn't.  Lesson learned. Smiley Happy

Any help / direction / suggestions / wild guesses would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Potter_County wrote:

Adding vCPUs/cores/RAM

And what did you try?

Also, what version of vSphere. What version of VM hardware?

---- Jack McMichael | Sr. Systems Engineer VMware End User Computing Contact me on Twitter @jackwmc4
0 Kudos
Potter_County
Contributor
Contributor

We tried combinations of vCPU up to 2 CPUs/2 cores, 3.5GB RAM (we're using 32-bit Win 7).

VDI platform is:

vSphere 5.5 build 1476327

ESXi 5.5 update 2 - 2069112

Hardware is Dell PowerEdge M620's.  We've also tried this on a Dell R730 with (2) K2 GPU cards.

One thing we've recently tried is using RDP to connect instead of PCOIP.  The video does behaves a little better (although not well enough for production).

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting, well AVC is just MPEG4 so with those types of specs you shouldn't have any problems assuming bandwidth is good.

You should definitely have no issues if you use vSGA/vDGA with the K2s. I'm assuming you configured the pool properly to use the K2s? Maybe take a look at this if you haven't already:

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/vmware-horizon-view-graphics-acceleration-deployment.pdf

Otherwise, everything passes the sniff test. Does the VM CPU peg when you play the AVC, even with multi cores and plenty of RAM? It sounds like you're looking at all the right areas, because normally it is a resource issue, but from the sounds of things you've covered your bases. Have you tried a dfiferent endpoint?

Also how about other media. Do you have this problem with MP4 or other MPEG4 based media? Maybe try some WMVs as well just to get an idea where the problem is. Which DirectX is installed in the VM?

---- Jack McMichael | Sr. Systems Engineer VMware End User Computing Contact me on Twitter @jackwmc4
0 Kudos
ITRaptor
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure if this has been fixed or not.

We are seeing the same issue. I have it narrowed down a little. if I open the VDI VM in vcenter or workstation, the video performs just fine with no problems. when I view the same VDI VM on a zero client, it behaves exactly as described earlier. When I use the PCOIP Session Statistics Viewer, it shows the FPS as all over the place from 1 to 30 fps. when testing with a youtube video, it hovers right around 30 fps.

Latency is very low, resources are not peaked.

I have tried using appvolumes and inclusion on parent image with very little difference.

Thanks!

Chris

0 Kudos