VMware Horizon Community
Damo007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

LUN Carving help please

Hi Guys,

So I've just purchased a DS3500 with expansion enclosure to run 38 15k 146GB SAS disks in RAID 10. 36 disks with a hot spare in both the DS3500 and the expansion bay. I am running a VDI environment with apprx 35 persistant desktops and a pool of 65 non-persistant desktops.

I've been reading up on the material and trying to find information on how to best carve up my luns.

My thoughts are 700GB LUN for my 35 persistant desktops and 500GB for my 65 non-persistant desktops. My XP images are around 12GB. I'm redirecting documents, start menu, desktop and app data. What type of space reuiqments in everyone elses experience have they needed for the user data disks with those type of numbers?

I have a feeling my LUN sizing may be a little incorrect so and advice would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Damo007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok so I sought some independant advice from a very knowlegable source who informed me that a DS3500 only supports 12 disks per RAID 10 set. So out of my 36 disks I'm going to have 3 x RAID 10 Arrays with 12 disks in each.

The suggestion is to run apprx 34 VM's per LUN.

My quesiton now is do I have to have two pools for all my non-persistant VM's since there is two different datastores or can I have one pool for my 65 non-perisistant desktops and have them spread across my two LUNS?

0 Kudos