VMware Horizon Community
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

LDF and SVI question

This may be a dumb question, so excuse me if it is.

From what I read and see, every night at midnight, View does a backup of the ADAM database and the composer database. My possibly silly question is, if after midnight, if I copy the LDF and SVI files to a safe location, is that all I need?

What I mean is, if the SVI is the composer database, do we also need to do a backup of the actual database on my SQL Server?

Maybe I'm reading the documentation wrong, but it seems to me that if anything happen, I could create a new blank database with the same name, and import this data in and be back to where I was.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

For the first question, the answer is NO. You have to shedule it from view connection server, or vdm commandline.

>>> Another question, If the View connection server is a VM, would you  recommend an image(vmdk) backup, or a typical backup of the c:\ ?

A file level backup of c:\ which include adam database backup file, would be fine

>>>I'm still trying to come up with a plan for my persistent disks. VMware  support told me to use a windows agent to backup the data, but my  concern is, the ADAM database contains references to the disks, so in a  true disaster recovery situation, if I were to restore ADAM and Composer  DBs, they will reference the P Disks that aren't there

What VMware support suggest is good and cheaper method. Also it has its own advantage of filtering unwanted data. If you want tperform vmdk level backup of persistent disk then you may have to go with thirdparty solutions like EMC AVAMAR

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The backup initiated from a View connection server will take backup of The ADAM and SVI.

Now you have two backup files.

1. The vdm backup file is for the Connection server ADAM database backup. Restore it using vdmimport command of View connection server.
  2. The SVI backup is for the View composer . Go to the composer machine, run sviconfig -operation=restoredata and provide DSN creadential to restore the data.

So you do not need to take backup from the database server. Instead it will restore the entire data using the DSN that you have provided in the sviconfig command.

Hope this clarifies.

-Skg

VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Makes sense.

If I wanted to take a manual backup of the composer database, is there sviconfig command to do that? I can always write a script to copy those files off of the C:\ instead.

Another question, If the View connection server is a VM, would you recommend an image(vmdk) backup, or a typical backup of the c:\ ?

I'm still trying to come up with a plan for my persistent disks. VMware support told me to use a windows agent to backup the data, but my concern is, the ADAM database contains references to the disks, so in a true disaster recovery situation, if I were to restore ADAM and Composer DBs, they will reference the P Disks that aren't there

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

For the first question, the answer is NO. You have to shedule it from view connection server, or vdm commandline.

>>> Another question, If the View connection server is a VM, would you  recommend an image(vmdk) backup, or a typical backup of the c:\ ?

A file level backup of c:\ which include adam database backup file, would be fine

>>>I'm still trying to come up with a plan for my persistent disks. VMware  support told me to use a windows agent to backup the data, but my  concern is, the ADAM database contains references to the disks, so in a  true disaster recovery situation, if I were to restore ADAM and Composer  DBs, they will reference the P Disks that aren't there

What VMware support suggest is good and cheaper method. Also it has its own advantage of filtering unwanted data. If you want tperform vmdk level backup of persistent disk then you may have to go with thirdparty solutions like EMC AVAMAR

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks so much.

0 Kudos