VMware Horizon Community
nelshawn
Contributor
Contributor

LC Desktops, Zero Clients & Location Based GPO?

Currently, all of my users connect to a vmware view linked clone desktop through a samsung zero client. Their profiles are managed through view persona, and it works quite well as far as their desk zero client is concerned.

We have a handful of conference rooms that are still running on physical workstations. The only piece holding me back from replacing the workstations with a zero client is the inability to process additional Group Policy Objects based on the location. I like the idea of users being able to access their own virtual desktop from any conference room, but I need to be able to increase the screen saver timeout and other settings when they are presenting to a group.

I have tried to pursue WMI filtering for the GPO with the correct settings, but I can not find where the ViewClient environment variables get stored (variables such as ViewClient_MAC_Address or ViewClient_IP_Address would make this very easy) - any assistance or recommendations here would be appreciated.

The goal is to avoid having to set up another linked clone pool just for conference rooms, it presents a number of challenges that would outweigh the benefit.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Did you check the Volatile Environment key under HKCU?   That should give you some information about where they are connecting from. 

0 Kudos
nelshawn
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, sorry I could have been a little more clear with my intent in the initial post...

I can read the settings from the registry, as well as see them with the SET command. I can't find them in the WMI Object browser, which is the only method GPO filtering will work with.

I figured since they show up as environment variables that they should exist within root\CIMV2: Win32_Environment. This is not the case Smiley Sad

0 Kudos