VMware Horizon Community
BrianPitt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Kodak i2600 Scanner Connected to Dell Wyse P25 Zero Client Communication Issue

We are having an issue with Kodak scanners and the way they are communicating with the Virtual Machines they are attached to.  We aren’t sure where the issue is at exactly, hoping someone here has had an experience with it:

The Kodak i2600 Scanners are attached physically to Dell P25 Zero Clients at 3 separate users’ desks.  All 3 Users connect to VMs via the Zero Clients.  Once connected to the VM, the Scanners attach via Scanner Redirection and are online and working (Windows sees them Connected and the Kodak Software sees them connected).  From here, the users, going through a bank's site and online software, use the scanners to scan batches of checks into the bank's system.  While this is going on, the scanners are intermittently pausing (sometimes for minutes) in the middle of these batches and then starting again to pull the checks through.  Most times, the checks will all pull through eventually and the scanner will stop.  Other times, however, the scanners will stop pulling checks and get stuck in a constant running mode, unable to function or do anything until you pull the USB Cable out of the Zero Client and power off and on the scanner OR reboot the Virtual Machine and power off and on the scanner.  Once these measures are taken, the scanner goes back to working fine.  Over time, however (sometimes in a half hour, sometimes longer) the issues start to come back and get progressively worse until the scanner gets to the constant running mode again, requiring the reset process.

In terms of the Drivers and Physical Scanner, at no time does the scanner lose communication with Windows or the Kodak Scanner software and is visible and online within Windows.  When these scanners were setup on local PC's, directly attached via USB, these issues were not present.

These Virtual Machines are on different hosts and the scanners are seen within Windows as online the entire time, so not looking to be the VM itself, but appears to be losing some communication from the time it leaves the VM port and gets to the Zero Client Port and the scanner and then back, but after reading more about scanner redirection, I am starting to think that it could be the culprit instead.

Hoepfully someone has seen something like this or could shed some light on it...

VMWare Horizon View Version 6.2 build 3005368

VMWare Agent Version 6.2.0.3005627

VMWare Tools Version 9.10.5.2981885

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jmacdaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have any View Agent logs from the time of these failures that you could post?  I started a thread here about USB printing problems with Horizon View and Dell P25's and I am curious if the errors in your View Agent log are similar. 

0 Kudos
BrianPitt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am waiting on the users to call back the next time it happens so I have a time frame and can then grab the logs from the Zero Clients and post them here.  The users were resetting their zero's on their own before to try and stop the issue so the logs would get wiped.  I have them not doing that now so I can get the needed information.

0 Kudos
BrianPitt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, I meant the Zero Client Logs AND the View Agent Logs would be pulled when they next mention the issue.

0 Kudos