VMware Horizon Community
vDood
Contributor
Contributor

Kiosk Mode more info needed

I am trying to find more information about Kiosk mode. We have one connection broker setup, we have multiple desktop pools for various departments. We need to setup a pool of kiosks. Can one broker handle both types of connections or will we need a separate broker for kiosk mode?

Unless I missed it in all the various documents, there is not a lot of technical info outside of all the command line settings.

This excerpt VMware-View-KioskMode-WP-EN.pdf tells me how to enable it:

The admin uses vdmadmin command from the View Connection Server command line to set the connection broker to Kiosk Mode. Please note this command needs to be executed for each instance, as in the following example.

vdmadmin -Q –enable -s servername where servername is your connection server hostname instance.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Mike VM... Virtually!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
eeg3
Commander
Commander

I'm 99% sure you do not need a separate connection server for Kiosk mode. I'd go 100%, but I haven't actually set it up yet. Smiley Happy

I found a pretty good independent article on Kiosk mode the other day that is available at: That's My View, but the page isn't loading properly for me right now. It's still available in Google Cache, though.

blog.eeg3.net | Useful VMware-related Links

If you found this or any other post helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
mholgate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info... It appears based on this site that the command just turns on the ability for the connection broker to accept kiosk connections.

Mike... VM, Virtually!!

Mike... VM, Virtually!!
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

For what it's worth I read over it and I don't think you need a broker dedicated to the kiosk mode. The brokers should be able to handle both types of request.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter: http://twitter.com/mittim12

0 Kudos
mholgate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, that is the feeling I am getting. Well, I will be taking a snapshot of my broker and then enabling kiosk mode... I will let you all know how it turns out.. Smiley Wink

Mike... VM, Virtually!!

Mike... VM, Virtually!!
0 Kudos
senk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

You don’t need any additional broker for handling the kiosk users, below are the some of the book keeping techniques for easy management of the kiosk users.

Since you are creating the desktop pool for several departments

Create an OU (On the domain controller) for each department and point the OU when the users of the department are being client authenticated from the broker,

by doing this all the users of department ABC will reside under ABU OU

Use -description when the kiosk users are authenticated on the broker (Tag/info for the admin for the user/kind of desktop assigned)

Below white paper has the detailed step by step procedure which will sure help you out in configuring your requirements.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware-View-KioskMode-WP-EN.pdf

Thanks

Sen

0 Kudos