jeffrobinson85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Keyboard incorrect input Horizon View

Hello,

An Interesting issue was recent brought to my attention. We use Open Text Host Explorer to connect to our autodial system and have our associates take phone calls. They have Macro's for Host Explorer that allow them to use hot keys to perform different functions like transferring a phone call. We recently upgraded from Host Explorer 14 to Host Explorer 15. Our dialer team that built the macro's updated the macro's to be compatible with Host Explorer 15. We started hearing issues last week of associates not being able to transfer phone calls using the Macro's. The issue appears to be random and it works sporadically. After doing some testing today with our dialer team, they ran a debugging program to see the key stroke interpretation. This is the input they found and the key for what each code means.

Working: 08 59 0D

Not working: 0C 59 0D

0C = NP line feed, new line
59 = Y
0D = carriage return
08 = backspace

At this point the dialer team believes it to be a VDI issue. I'm just looking for a starting point to troubleshoot the issue. The fact that it is not consistent is strange.

Any idea's would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

If the only thing that changed is HostExplorer 14 to HostExplorer 15; then the root cause of the problem likely lies there. But of course, the dialler team will find it easier to blame VDI. But apportioning blame/fault does not solve any problem.

It is unclear what you meant by working and not working. Do you mean "08" got interpreted as "0C" or do you mean "0C" just does not work but don't know how it got (mis)interpreted?

I would think it might have to do with the mismatched keyboard layout/language settings. An added complication what is the host at the HostExplorer end? If it is an IBM z/i (mainframe, AS/400) there could be the added complication of wrong ASCII to EBCDIC translations.

For example, if the end-user OS language/keyboard is set to US English language layout QWERTY but somewhere along the way from HostExplorer/VDI the setting turns to French language/AZERTY layout, a letter "Q" sent from the client would be intrepreted as letter "A" because of the mismatched keyboard layout/language setting.

One way to find any consistency is, if possible, program a macro that sends ALL possible keys, (yes ALL possible keys), upper and lower case A-Z, numbers, symbols, function keys, etc. And from there a pattern should be found.

0 Kudos
jeffrobinson85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As far as the "working" versus "non working". The Macro tells what screen position in Host Explorer it supposed to use it goes it a particular column and row. Then does a backspace, then enter. "y" and do a carriage return to transfer the phone call. The "non working" is the key strokes they are seeing when the macro doesn't work properly. Not sure if it the VM misinterpreting they key stroke or the PCOIP stream sending the wrong key stroke.

The interesting thing is that we had the dialer team test using Blast in a web browser and they have not seen the issue. Using the Horizon client is inconsistent sometimes it work as it should and other times it doesn't.

Working: 08 59 0D

Not working: 0C 59 0D

0C = NP line feed, new line
59 = Y
0D = carriage return
08 = backspace

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

At the moment, you are looking for a needle in a haystack but there are multiple haystacks and you don't know which one to look at first.

So is HostExplorer used to emulate a 3270/5250 terminal to an IBM mainframe (z Series)/AS400 (i Series)? The way you described it (going to particular rows/columns, sending keystrokes) is quite typical of screen-scraping style of interface for these types of terminals where there is another GUI or browser application in the foreground (which probably the dialer team sees/interacts with) but behind it is a "green screen" 3270/5250 terminal.

If it is indeed screen scraping, the keystrokes problem is unlikely to have anything to do with Horizon because it will be between the foreground application and the Host Explorer.

The example that I described earlier with the US English/French language is the scenario where Horizon receives the encoded key and has to re-map it to keystroke (in the similar vein VNC protocol does).

0 Kudos
jeffrobinson85
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your feedback. Our dialer team has asked that we roll back to Host Explorer 14. They have found other issues with the macro's on physical desktops. So the issue appears to either be the macro's or host explorer 15. I will update the post once we find the cause.

0 Kudos