VMware Horizon Community
dduckworth10
Contributor
Contributor

Keyboard and mouse input not being received to guest VM

Once again I'm here with my Evaluation, trying to figure out some bugs...

First off - we're using an HP thin client - with the latest View client (5.4) via PCoIP. It's running Windows Embedded Standard 7.

Connection server - 5.2

Guest VM - Windows XP

I'm having a strange issue. I can connect, view the guest VM, etc - however, I cannot interact with it from the HP Thin Client.

I can, however, connect with my laptop running Windows 7 x64. It works no problem. No issues using my mouse, keyboard, etc.

I'm not even sure where to begin looking - if I reinstall the VMware View agent, it works fine, until a few subsequent reconnects later and then the issue re-arises. Rebooting the Guest VM does nothing.

I appreciate the help, if anyone has any advice to offer or any idea of where to start looking..

1 Reply
dduckworth10
Contributor
Contributor

I have found the issue.

I was remotely connecting into the thin client using VNC that way I could configure client settings, etc.

I read this article - SMS: Mouse and Keyboard May Not Work in Remote Control Session to a Windows XP Computer

It states, "This problem can be caused by the start of a Windows XP Remote Desktop session to the client computer. When the Remote Desktop session connects, it switches the current user context on the client computer. SMS is unable to handle this context switch, and loses mouse and keyboard functionality."

I disconnected from VNC, rebooted the thin client, and the issue was no longer there.