VMware Horizon Community
edrocks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

KMS licensing host single point of fail

Ok so whats the buzz out there for redundancy and KMS?  We had an issue when the pool recreated machines...  out KMS host service was degraded.  Caused severe slowness in provisioning new Windows 7 machines. 

I know that SLB can be used, and additional SRV records mean it will go through that list of hosts for activation. 

I find it hard to believe that this isn't addressed in VDI implementations as a high priority importance item. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my 6 years working with Horizon/View I've never heard of a major KMS issues. There are customers that run redundant with SRV records that you indicated, but KMS does a pretty stand up job and I've never once had a customer have it impact their environment.

Not saying it couldn't be a problem, just saying I think that's why it's not a priority...it "just works" 99.9% of the time from my experience.

Normally activation issues are related to customers accidentally using MAK, which is not supported.

---- Jack McMichael | Sr. Systems Engineer VMware End User Computing Contact me on Twitter @jackwmc4
0 Kudos