VMware Horizon Community
lawrencej
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Java apps crash

Hi all,

We updated our View environment at the end of December from version 6.0.1 to 6.2.1.

Since then, several different Java applications crash after a few seconds without a message or get stuck.

We use Java Runtime Environment in version 8u65 & 8u66.

The following applications are affected:

- SAP Enterprise Service Builder for PI

- ARIS 9.8 (Software AG)

- SQuirreL SQL Client

In our old environment (View 6.0.1) we did not have the problem.

For the new environment we updated the agent from 6.0.1 to 6.2.1 only. We didn't make any other changes to the images.

Has anybody seen this behavior on 6.2.x?

Thanks

James.

20 Replies
SLUcomm
Contributor
Contributor

James,

Similar issue here. We upgraded our View systems from 5.3.4 to 6.2.1 last week, and now we're experiencing applications crashing after upgrading the View Agent on our master images to 6.2.1. I'll be opening a support request with VMware, and update with any new information when they get back to me.

The applications we've found to be effected include: Maple 17, IBM SPSS Statistics 23, and Wolfram Mathematica 10.2. Some of these use different, prepackaged versions of Java.

So far, we were able to replicate the issue on a clean master image. As soon as we installed View Agent 6.2.1 and rebooted, the programs crash shortly after starting. We've tried uninstalling View Agent 6.2.1 from the master, but found the issues to persist. We never experienced this with View Agent 5.3.4, and plan to rebuild the image and use the 5.3.4 view agent. I'm not sure if this is the best course of action, but seems faster and easier than rolling back all of our connection, security, and composer servers to 5.3.4; at least until I hear back from support. YMMV.

Note that in order to enable PCOIP connections from a 6.2.1 Connection/Security server to a desktop running the 5.3.4 view agent, you need to enable TLS 1.0 connections. (See VMware KB: Configure security protocols for PCoIP for Horizon 6 version 6.2 and later, and Horizon C...)

Anyone else having these issues?

-Kyle

FredCooperV
Contributor
Contributor

We were forced to upgrade our View infrastructure after installing ESX host security updates updated stopped View from working. We are now seeing this issue with SPSS 23. I will be opening a case with VMware as well.

0 Kudos
lawrencej
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes I think it may be one for VMware support.

I think we may need to open a ticket and see if there is a fix or a workaround of some kind.

Regards,

James.

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm also experiencing problems with the latest view agents. My Thompson Reuters applications are crashing after moving from the 6.0.1 agent to anything newer. I've opened a ticket with VMware and they are telling me to go to the other application developers. I went so far as to install thew 6.2.1 agent on a physical Windows 7 computer and experienced the issues that I saw in my VMs.

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
bhamm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi James,

I upgraded one of our environments from 5.3.4 to 6.2.1 and saw the same issue - our java app crashes immediately upon loading.  We noticed a few things during troubleshooting:

-The app would crash when a PCoIP session was running, but not during an RDP session

-We were able to prevent the app from crashing by enabling the software 3d adapter, but then we had visual artifacts on the screen

-We were able to get the visual artifacts to be cleared by invoking a UAC Secure Desktop prompt.  The issue doesn't seem to reoccur after that until the user closes/re-opens the java app.

We opened up a ticket with VMware suppport.  They suspected it was a bug, as the support staff we spoke to said they were seeing similar requests regarding Java apps.  The ticket has been turned over to the development staff, from what i was told.  He didn't have an idea if it was exclusive to 6.2.1 or also affected earlier versions.  No ETA on a fix yet.

0 Kudos
dasfreund
Contributor
Contributor

Just chiming in to say same here... our issues are mostly with SPSS 23. We discovered that rolling back to the 6.1 Agent resolves the SPSS issues, and so far seems to not cause any other issues with the rest of the 6.2 environment. These are linked clones and provisioning and composer tasks all still seem to function normally...

0 Kudos
EricNichols
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Has anyone tried this? VMware KB: Legacy applications fail to start with the VMware View 6.0.x agent installed

We have this set on 6.2 from back on 6.0 and use plenty of Java apps that aren't crashing.

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

These registry keys weren't even in the mix on my mine with issues. The issue appears to be specific application interactions with agents 6.0.2 and higher. I built everything brand new for 6.2.1 and I am still having issues. I even went as far as to load the 6.2.1 agent on a physical Windows machine and immediately starting having application crashes.

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
0 Kudos
dasfreund
Contributor
Contributor

OK- just kidding. We tested on a clean build with 6.1. Rolling parents with 6.2 agents back to 6.1 still doesn't work. It's like something left over from 6.2 poisoned the image. Hmm...

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try installing the 6.0.1 agent and see if your problems go away.

0 Kudos
EricNichols
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

One of our java apps did this even before virtualization. It was cleared up by adding -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true like this:

javaw.exe -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -jar your.jar

We have always used Atuomatic 3D renderer with 512 MB VRAM in the linked clone pool specification and the parent image is on virtual machine version 9 with 3D graphics checkbox enabled.

0 Kudos
TvdT
Contributor
Contributor

We have the same problem too and actually found out that enabling 3D support at the base image and enabling "3d Renderer" at the pool

is besides using RDP protocol another workaround for this problem (but ressource consuming). We made a test with these settings with a few users and all are happy with Java again.

Probably, even an upgrade of the virtual hardware version to 11 after updating the esx hosts may do the job, but we haven't still tested it yet.

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That was also the solution for me. Enabling 3d support fixes it. Or upgrading to Windows 8.1

0 Kudos
bhamm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has anyone with this issue tried the View 7.0 agent? I'm still on 5.3.x agent with most of my desktops due to the potential for java app problems, but I'd like to get up to date and use View's new features.

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm panning some tests next week but for the time being, you can use the Direct Access agent to test your machines without deploying a whole environment.

0 Kudos
TvdT
Contributor
Contributor

Dear community,

we had the exact same issues as described.

But after our latest machine updates, the problem seems to have gone. A couple of users now work again over PCoIP and they don't have app crashes any more.

We updated to the following versions:

Clients:

VM-Hardware-Version 11

VMware View Agent 6.2.2.3508800

VMware Tools 10.0.6.3560309

ESX-Host:

6.0.0 build-3620759

Additionally, the problem ssems to be gone in VMware View 7.0 with the agent 7.0. But we haven't tested it intensively.

I hope this helps.

Best regards

Tim von der Trappen

Mode IT Systems

0 Kudos
LordPeterWimsey
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I'm a technical support engineer that works for the Global Support Services (GSS) at VMware. We are aware that there is an issue with the 6.2.0, 6.2.1 and 6.2.2. agents. The issue appears to impact the 64-bit agent largely. The issue is the accompanying Video driver of the View agent. The version of the problematic driver is 8.15.1.32.

Earlier in the thread the question was asked, does the issue exist in the Horizon 7 client? The answer is no. The Horizon 7 agent includes Driver version 8.15.1.45 which has the issue resolved.

Their is a KB that has been written internally on this topic. If you need to call in a support case please reference internal knowledge base article (KB) 2145319.

As for the system working with VMware tools 10.0.6, I suspect that the Video driver from the tools overwrote the View driver ad that is why the issue is resolved there. For reverence the stand alone versions of VMware tools are compatible with View 6.2.0, 6.2.1 and 6.2.2 and you can validate that against the VMware Interoperability Matrix here:

VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes

NOTE: The stand alone versions of VMware Tools is compatible with ESXi version 5.5 U3b and newer according to the interoperavbility matrixes notes.

As for KB 2145319 the suggestion in that internal (as of the time stamp of this message) KB is to install tools 10.0.5 after the View agent so that the driver of the tools overwrites the View video driver.

If you need to file a support request, please see KB 2006985 which is linked below.

VMware KB: How to file a Support Request in My VMware

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For what it's worth, I have been working with support on an SR related to non-java apps crashing after upgrading to 6.0.2 and up. This issue doesn't just impact PCoIP, it impact any machine that the agent is installed on, including physical desktops. Uninstall the agent, no issue. Reinstall the agent, application breaks. Install the 6.0.1 agent, problem goes away.

0 Kudos
pembertj
Contributor
Contributor

Any offical fix for this I have a lot of pissed of customers that can't use several products in our VDI right now because of this issue.

0 Kudos