VMware Horizon Community
lettech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

JAVA Performance with VDI...

Hi all, hope all is well in your Virtual World!

I am looking for comments from anybody who has successfully deployed Java based applications to VDI. Specifically I am refering to the IBM Java based management tools like IBM Director and BladeCenter Manager. When we try to make a connection to the RSA/iLO of a server using the Remote Control toolset, performance is terrible and the mouse is basically unuseable. I know this is an RDP limitation because it happens using RDP outside of the VDI environment also, but I am very interested to know if anyone out there has found a solution for this. We are planning a VDI deployment for management systems and this could well scuttle the initiative.

Your assistance appreciated as always!

Shanus

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lettech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nudge...Nudge. Guess the key here then is don't use VDI if you have a requirement to use Java apps??!!! Smiley Sad Bummer!

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We have a Java CRM app that we use, and the performance is bad ... mainly the screen refreshing doesn't always refresh inside the java window.

mark_coleman
Contributor
Contributor

We are using Oracle Ebusiness suite 11i (java 1.3 front end) and had terrible display performance over RDP. One trick we found was to turn off directdraw for 2D graphics. If you can pass any options to your java plugin jre command line try adding this

-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true

This option saved out entire rollout and enabled us to use thin clients with the Oracle Jinitiator software.

Mark

florismg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mark,

Thanks for this solution! The solution save a lot of time and money! The Jinitiator is now working much faster.

Floris

0 Kudos