VMware Horizon Community
Chhavi
Contributor
Contributor

Issues while taking remote of the VDI via mstsc & vmware view

Hello,

I have 2 issues with the virtual desktops that I have created:

I want to keep the VDI powered ON always, thus I don't want to restart or re-login.

I have set the settings accordingly in VMware View Admin site, however

1) There is a connected session in VMware View Admin site that I cannot login to, so the

only option I have is to disconnect that session or log off/ restart the VDI.

In all the cases I'll not be able to continue with the previous session.

Is there any way to keep the session active for long?

2) The mstsc works fine with the same session without a restart for around 3 days.

After that I cannot take access of the VDI with mstsc, the only resolution is to restart the VDI.

In both the cases my purpose of keeping the VDI powered ON always is not achieved.

Is there any resolution to these issues, so that I can provide some stability to my end users?

Also can less space on the datastore be the cause of such issues??

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Moved to View forum.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009

Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security'[/url]

Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]

Blogging: The Virtualization Practice[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|TechTarget[/url]|Network World[/url]

Podcast: Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]|Twitter: Texiwll[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The always keep VM Powered on setting simply means that the View connection broker will not shutdown the VM when not in use. If a session has been started on the desktop and you don't know the password then the only way to access the machine is going to be resetting the session or restarting the machine.

I'm not sure how much free space you have on your datastore but you definitely want to have free space available. I always try to keep between 10 and 15% free space at all times for anything that may pop up.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Chhavi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

The users are aware of their password but they cannot login.

They can only login if I disconnect or logoff the session from VMware view admin.

We has storage space issue recently but can this be the cause of such issue??

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, is this a persistent or non persistent pool? So the user already has an established active connection to a VDI machine utilizing a unique login and they attempt to connect from a different machine and it fails? What kind of error do you receive?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Chhavi
Contributor
Contributor

It's non-persistent. No the user want the VDI to be ON all the time & reconnects to the same session from the same machine

with the same credentials but cannot login. This generally happpens everyday for VMware View & after 2-3 days for RDP.

The error message for VMware view and RDP are attached.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Have you verified network connectivity to the VDI machine after receiving those error messages? Anything in the windows event viewer that would help troubleshoot the issue?

0 Kudos
Chhavi
Contributor
Contributor

Network connectivity is fine & nothing in Event viewer that can be related to this issue.

Just to give a heads up.. I can login to these VDIs from vSphere without restart.

Its like they can't login because of stuck session in VMware View.

But we want to resolve this issue as the VDIs need to be consistently switched ON and accessible.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think this is a view specific problem but more of a Windows XP RDP issue. Just some basic info about the VM's how many NICS are inside the VM? What version of RDP are you using? Can you telenet to 3389 of the desktop after the disconnect happens?

0 Kudos
NJaure
Contributor
Contributor

Have you noticed some network connectivity issue inside View Connection Server? We've got a similar problem, and after a long research and many tests, we have noticed that View Connection Server (I mean, Windows Server) loses network (no ping, nothing). After restarting the service, everything comes back to normal. We've got a Support Case open for this.

0 Kudos