VMware Horizon Community
dyeltonDC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issue with USB AutoConnect with clients connecting through security server...

We're running VMware View 5.0.1 with 2 connection servers and a security server. When clients connect directly to the connection server, USB autoconnect works just fine...users can use their USB drives and other USB devices with their VM. The problem occurs when they attempt to use their USB devices when brokered through the security server.

I know that port 32111 (TCP) must be open between the security server and the connection server, but even after having done so it still does not work...clients just get the Desktop Initializing message in the USB autoconnect drop-down.

Our current setup is:

External IP -> DMZ (security server) -> connection server

We contract out our firewall config through our ISP (we're not overloaded with IT staff here, it's just me so little things like this help my workload). They're certainly not incompetent (or at least haven't been in the past). I've had them open port 32111 from external IP to DMZ and then from DMZ to our connection server that is used for external connections. Everything else regarding VMware View works perfect for clients connecting this way, just not USB devices.

One thing I'm questioning is if our having a dedicated VLAN setup for View clients affect anything. I try to keep tabs on what ports are open to what for our firewall for my records, but I don't see where I blatantly opened ports from the security server internal side to our internal network. Is it required to have port 32111 open directly from the security server internal side to the vmware view clients?

The firewall guys are telling me that they've verified over and over that port 32111 is open all the way through. They also told me that they attempted to telnet port 32111 to our security server and got nothing back (should have gotten garbage at least, according to them).

Any idea of next steps to take? It's obviously a blocked port, I just have no idea why at this point.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I know that port 32111 (TCP) must be open between the security server and the connection server, but even after having done so it still does not work

That's not what the requirement is. The agent is listening on port 32111, you need to open the firewall to allow connections from the security server to the desktops on port 32111 (same as you need to allow RDP or PCoIP).

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I know that port 32111 (TCP) must be open between the security server and the connection server, but even after having done so it still does not work

That's not what the requirement is. The agent is listening on port 32111, you need to open the firewall to allow connections from the security server to the desktops on port 32111 (same as you need to allow RDP or PCoIP).

Mike

0 Kudos
dyeltonDC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I obviously missed that in the documentation. Thanks for the heads up on that! That resolved the issue. I have marked your reply as the answer.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos