VMware Horizon Community
JasonP76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Issue with Teams Screen Sharing and BLAST Protocol

Hi All,

I have a slightly odd one here.

About 6 months or so ago we upgraded to the latest version of Teams on our VDI infrastructure. All of a sudden when a user wanted to do a screen share and try give someone control there was no bar at the top of the screen to allow this. The other user could request this, but there presenter could not click on a button to allow it. After quite a lot of troubleshooting and raising a ticket with Vmware, we found that the bar was actually there, but invisible. Literally invisible. You could move your mouse over to the general area and you would actually see the info popups saying "Presenting..." and "Only give control to people you trust". So the feature was there but was not being rendered. If we change the protocol to PCoIP or even Microsoft RDP, the bar would be rendered and shown. This only happened using Blast. The workaround at the time was actually disabling H264 from the client and only allowing HEVC. This happens with both users connecting inside or from outside the infrastructure (So with a UAG or direct).

At the time we were running:

• Windows 10 1909
  • Agent and Connection Server 7.13.1
  • NVIDIA vGPU (2GB per VDI) - 11.6 Driver 
  • Instant Clones
  • Latest Machine wide Teams installed (currently 1.4.00.29469)

We have now upgraded our VDIs to Windows 10 21H2 and Agent/Connection Server 8.4 (2111), and without changing any of the settings we had previously for the clients, this issue has come back again, but this time neither running the client with HEVC or H264 on Blast works, but once again any other protocol does work.

Has anyone seen this issue before ? 

I have had Vmware pointing the finger at Microsoft and Microsoft pointing the finger at Vmware. Neither wanted to take responsibility for this. Personally I think this is a Vmware issue considering that this issue only occurs using the Blast protocol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

7 Replies
jmacdaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just curious if you have tried toggling on or off the Disable GPU Acceleration option in Teams settings and then restarting Teams to see if the issue persists.

0 Kudos
JasonP76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have actually. And that does not change anything.

I have also removed the vGPU from the VDI and created a new pool and tried it. That works. 

So some interaction between the NVidia vGPU Driver and the Blast protocol that does not seem to be working.

0 Kudos
AricCoon
Contributor
Contributor

We have the same issue, we've found we can go back to Teams 1.4.00.19572 and it works as expected but anything newer breaks this. Found that if you take a screenshot when someone is requesting control over your screen you can actually see the control bar, perhaps this is helpful if someone is looking into the issue.

kvmw2130
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It would be definitely worth looking at : https://enterprise-support.nvidia.com/s/article/Invisible-Microsoft-Teams-Control-Bar-and-Minimized-... / Workaround for both VMware Horizon and Citrix Desktops are provided here

0 Kudos
stitch_626
Contributor
Contributor

Did you resolve this? I had a similar issue no solution.

0 Kudos
JasonP76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes ... the link provided just above by the Vmware employee is the workaround. (https://enterprise-support.nvidia.com/s/article/Invisible-Microsoft-Teams-Control-Bar-and-Minimized-...)

This article was put in as a result of the ticket I had in place with VMware, Nvidia and MS. we worked on this for months to find this.

The issue is actually an OS problem. Came about after 1909 as 1909 code for the desktop duplication API was changed after. So I suggest you raise a ticket with MS also to make them aware you have also had the issue.

I have done so, and the more people raise it with the more they will address the issue I hope, as I am worried that this workaround will only work until such a time MS changes the way they do the desktop duplication API again and then nothing will work at all.

0 Kudos
TotoX
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

Microsoft Teams version 1.5.00.28531 resolve this issue, it's current exploration build :

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ItzLevvie/MicrosoftTeams-msinternal/master/defconfig

Regards

0 Kudos