VMware Horizon Community
maes1
Contributor
Contributor

Issue with PCoIP with VMware View Client with Local Mode on Win XP

I recently installed VMware View Client with Local Mode (4.6.0 build-366101) on Host OS Version:  XP 5.1.2600 and I am having a problem using the default connecton protocol of PCoIP.  When I connect to my VM (allocated to me), I seem to connect with a black screen, and then I get a pop-up with the message "the connection to the remote computer timed out".

I've found FAQs that show what ports should be open, but I don't know how to tell if we have customized the ports.  I've run telnet tests from laptop (on a VPN) versus my local workstation (non-VPN) and I have found one port that is open on the local LAN (32111) that is not open on VPN.

We have a view "server" (?) on view.domain that I go to with my web browser, and it kicks of a client connection.  I chose to install the client with local mode.

The real question here is where are the custom configuration files on the view client that show me exactly what ports are being used?  Should those ports be open to the VM hostname/IP I have, or to a different server.  Sorry for all of the very basic questions.  My IT department is not helpful.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums.   Are you connecting from inside the LAN or from outside the office using the URL?     You can always try disabling your local firewall to see if that allows the connection but ultimately you will need to get your IT department involved to unblock the ports for PCOIP.    The 32111 port is used for USB redirection not PCOP.

0 Kudos
maes1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I appreciate the welcome.  I'm connecting through our VPN, which is on a different network than our local LAN.  Should the ports I need opened connect to the URL I call in my browser (view.domain) or to the actual VM itself?  I want to know what ports I need to give to the network group to be opened.  Is that in a local configuration file?

Is the PCoIP protocol optimized for VM traffic?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Point them to this KB, http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1027217.   It will give you all the ports and traffic flow for PCOIP in a View environment.

0 Kudos