VMware Horizon Community
ddarvish
Contributor
Contributor

Is there an easier way than VMware View? PLEASE HELP

i am no expert when it comes to this whole virtualization thing and i would like to deploy it at my home office before i start to consider helping other individuals do the same.. vmware view is so damn complicated to setup and install and after i finally got through the install of the server app i realized there wer 1000 other things i still had to do with sql servers etc..

is there any other app or appliance that simplifies this whole thing such that  i install the app,  and it uses my AD DS for authentication and within the program i can specify what virtual machines they have access to. basically i have on my vmware hypervisor, several copies of win 7, win 8, ubuntu, osx .. and pretty much want the vsphere client simplicity of opening a console and away i go. had vmware made a damn plugin for osx  and android for the web based version i wouldnt care about vmware view .. but for now i have to so please anything you can do to make this as painless as possible

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums.     If you already have existing virtual infrastructure the setup is painless but since it requires vCenter and vSphere starting from scratch can be tough.    Here is an evaluation guide which will walk you through the View installations.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/view/VMware-View-Evaluators-Guide.pdf

0 Kudos
ddarvish
Contributor
Contributor

i have already looked through the setup.. I have ESXi up and running as well as vcenter server.. i still find that installing view very difficult and as a person who has not worked with domain or AD till trying to set this up you can see how it may be difficult. i dont understand why there isnt a whole containt application or appliance that does everything for me and i simply have some interface on the web to mangage connections and delegate who gets what VD... Citirix VDI in a box comes close but only works for windows ... i want something like that but with the added abililty to support osx and linux

0 Kudos
MooreOrtho
Contributor
Contributor

I would think even with Citrix's VDI-in-a-box solution you would still need core network services like DHCP, DNS, Active Directory, etc for it to function fully.  Even then it still needs some type of hypervisor to run on (XenServer, Hyper-V, ESXi).  Also, Citrix VDI-in-a-box does support OS X and Linux as client devices just not as the guest OS.  Neither View nor Citrix VDI/XenDesktop support anything other than Windows on the guest OS side.  I've never had any experience with the Citrix product so I don't know how easy it truly is but general experience tells me most things are never as easy as the sales pitch. But to answer your question, no I don't think View will be easy for you at least how your expecting it to be.  It doesn't seem like Vmware has designed View for a SMB all in one package.  I have zero experience with this but what about Red Hat's VDI product?  It may be more complicated than either View or Citrix hwoever:

http://www.redhat.com/products/virtualization/desktop/

0 Kudos
ddarvish
Contributor
Contributor

so i guess i overlooked that vmware view also wont support osx host just guests... yeah i guess nothing is going to solve my issues for now.. VDI in a box is a lot less complicated and as it suggests it has an internal ldap etc taking care of all the individual servers required for view. either way neither will work at this point for me and ill be manually deploying desktops.

thanks for the help.

Davis Darvish

0 Kudos