VMware Horizon Community
timkennedy
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way to change the fields on the View login popup when using Radius?

We are using view with Radius, and Multi-Factor Authentication.   The login sequence is pretty normal, when the user connects, they get a popup window, enter their credentials, then get the challenge for the MFA token, then they're in (or not).

We have some confusion with users due to the wording of the login prompt.   The fields requested are "Username" and "Passcode".  We find that "Passcode" seems to be particularly confusing to users who keep trying to enter their MFA token at that point instead of their password.

Is there any to change that wording, and have it request "Username" and "Password", or even "Email" and "Password"?

I have seen F5 allows for some customization of the login form, as descrived at VMware Horizon View Client Customization - custom field names and description but we aren't using F5.

Thanks.

10 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This has been a big complaint of ours with the MFA/RADIUS implementation on the Horizon Connection Servers and Unified Access Gateways (UAG).

By default it asks you to "Enter your user name and password.". When you enable RADIUS it changes to "Enter your user name and passcode.". You do have the ability to insert wording between "Enter your" and "user name and passcode.". So you could have it read "Enter your COMPANY user name and passcode." or "Enter your ACTIVE DIRECTORY user name and passcode." or whatever works for your organization.

chriskoch99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same problem here!  It just seems goofy to me that, given the various permutations of how RADIUS is implemented, you can't fully customize the message.   As above, in our UAG + Okta MFA RADIUS implementation, it's really looking for Okta username and password rather than passcode in that first prompt.  The passcode comes after.   This will be confusing to our users as we roll out Horizon to field users.

Come on VMware -- Make this field fully customizable!  It can't be that much additional code...

BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Agreed, this was a big issue for us that required communication to all users. VMware should allow us to completely customize the message. Your best bet is to submit a feature request and voice this to your VMware account team.

0 Kudos
kered248
Contributor
Contributor

You can simply edit the appropriate file here...

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\broker\webapps\portal\webclient\locale\

for English it is en.json (make sure you have permissions to edit this file).

Search for "passcode." (no quotes)  you should see this line...

"dialog_placeholder_passcode": "Passcode", "dialog_prompt_passcode": "Enter your {0} user name and passcode.",

Change it to this...

"dialog_placeholder_passcode": "Password", "dialog_prompt_passcode": "Enter your {0} user name and password.",

Now your logon screen will say password.

0 Kudos
flickerflacker
Contributor
Contributor

Wont this only change it for web login, and not for the Horizon client or PCoIP?

BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I tested and verified that this only applies to HTML/BLAST which we do not use.

Davlay
Contributor
Contributor

We also enabled Radius recently with VMware View and also are having users confused with the use of the term "Passcode".

Could VMWare please allow us to modify or change this term?

Would be great to be able to change it to password, or allow us to fully customise the text used in the VMware login window.

We are using the VMware view Horizon Client and not the Web Access.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
SRT65
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes PLEASE VMware can you make this prompt customizable!!!!

We recently implemented DUO MFA utilizing push authentication only to duo app on phones so users login with their username and PASSWORD and get push notification to their phones to "Allow" or "Deny". Seems to be easier for our users to understand and handle than random numbers which change.

Unfortunately the Duo iOS and Android apps also generate "passcodes" which we do not use and we rely totally on push, mainly because VMware cannot seem to support both push and OTP concurrently and I can only get one or the other to work. Would prefer to allow the user to choose which they want to use but push notification more users can handle so going with that.

Anyway the fact that the app generates one-time "passcodes" regardless when you open it and the login prompt says "passcode" is causing a real headache as the passcodes will not actually work with VMware because the UAG passes the passcode to the connection server and therefore AD as a password which of course fails, they have to enter their password (not the passcode) at the login prompt and wait for the push notification but try telling that to some users who insist "why does it say passcode then".

0 Kudos
cbaptiste
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

A case was opened from our end about 2 - 3 years ago about this and still no movement. I believe as far as I understand it, the wording are hard coded. They will have to find a way to make it dynamic so the administrators can type in it. I guess you may see that finally in version 8.0 when they begin to redesign from scratch and clean up all codes. Again there is no way for me to know for sure but talking to them enough I know it wasn't fix in neither in 6.x, and 7.x. 7.10 is already released. So may be in 8.0. Hopefully :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
benremsa
Contributor
Contributor

This is now possible via the console in 7.11 under the servers - connection servers - authentication.   Manage your RADIUS authenticator and you have options for user name and passcode "labels".  Works like a charm for 'renaming' passcode to password.   I also renamed my authenticator 'name' to the Domain alias so my message says, Enter your DOMAIN username and password.  The HTML version can be changed via the en.json