VMware Horizon Community
VMMalley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there a version of the 'Optimizer Tool' that is certififed for production?

Hi, just wondering if there is a copy of the Optimizer Tool that is VMware certified for production use?

I would like to use this tool for the 1st time since it shows up in a many discussions, but hesitant since VMware explicitly warns against optimizing a master image with this tool for production.

Thanks, let me know if the production version is located somewhere other than the labs site.

I am extremely careful with my master images and never experiment with them or use or follow any steps not outlined by VMware directly.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

There is only one version of the VMware OS Optimizer Tool that I know of.

Its basically a bunch of settings that you could go through manually and the tool is just a way of doing it faster.

There is always a risk that it will break something in your applications, there is no way to guarantee that that will not happen.

So if you are worried about that I would advise you to test each setting separately to make sure that it does not causes any issues.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

You also have the option of utilizing the bat file that comes with the Windows 7/8 optimization guide.    I've used it several times and had no issues in my environment.

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander

Most issues I have seen revolve around the services the tool will disable that some applications expect. Adobe Pro had this problem, for example. As Linjo suggested, there is no substitute for testing in your own environment.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
rcmcguir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you do use the bat file and run 64-bit, this entry breaks IE 10/11...

reg ADD "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v MoveImages /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0 /f

So you may want to comment that one out.

0 Kudos