VMware Horizon Community
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there a VMView Client for Linux

Is there a VMview Client for most Linux distro (i.e. Ubuntu, Federo, etc). If I want to use VMView on a generic Linux Client, what else do I need other than FireFox and RDP player?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I asked this same question, because I have the beta for vSphere on Linux, and apparently it's still IN Beta.

Not sure what the hold up is, but it may be out in a couple of months, is what I was told...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I think this might be what you're looking for:

http://code.google.com/p/vmware-view-open-client/

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I think this might be what you're looking for:

Not even close, still have to use Windows. We WANT a true Linux VI client, that's it. No need to connect to Windows machines ... just to manage a vCenter to manage an ESX server, we SHOULD be able to do this natively...

Especially since ESX is pretty much Linux (even though it's not) but it's weird they adopt open source for anything BUT the management pieces..

0 Kudos
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think some of you may have misunderstood. I am looking at deploying VMview for a bunch of Windows XP desktop image, but are also looking at using a linux base desktop to connect to the VMview server. Normally, for a windows client, you would install the VMview client so you have some additional advantage (from the client) like usb redirect, single sign-on, direct virtual desktop connection (without first using the web browser to logon). For a linux client, are any of these options available?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

So what you are actually after is a Linux Agent not a client. if so then you are out of luck and you may be be better servers by investigating another broker software like vWorkspace or Provision

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
davesherman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Dwchan,

Just to be clear you are going to install VMware View, provision Windows XP virtual machines on ESX and your users will be using Linux desktops to connect to the XP images through the View broker? If this is the case, you can use the open source View client linked above. It works fairly well and has most of the features that the Windows client does (I use it often on Ubuntu). VMware refuses to provide a supported Linux View client to the general public, instead restricting it to third party partners only for integration, and in fact their linux web client is marked as 'experimental' in the admin guide. Maybe we will see a VMware supported View Linux client as well as a VMware VI client in the near future?

0 Kudos