VMware Horizon Community
myvmvm
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to have a Server OS on Horizon?

I know horizon is used for desktop virtualization. Is it possible to have also a Windows Server on it. So the desktops could use them as a file server? Or do i need vsphere with another hardware?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

If your getting vsphere for desktops you can have the file server on the same hardware, it just can only support the virtual desktop enviornment and nothing else. You can use server os as desktops either in the form of published apps or actual desktops. This "could" be on the same server but its better to seperate the infrastructure and the desktops in separate hosts/clusters.

0 Kudos
myvmvm
Contributor
Contributor

So its not possible to install an Server OS (For example Server 2019) on a Horizon ?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

You don't install anything in horizon, horizon is an application. There are horizon agents that you install in desktops and servers that users can connect to. Users connect to the connection servers, which then connect the users to the desktops the agents are on. Take a look at this and see if it helps

Quick-Start Tutorial Series for VMware Horizon 7 - Components and Architecture | VMware

0 Kudos
myvmvm
Contributor
Contributor

Okay i checked it out. So it looks like the horizon server and the Desktops Pool are not on the same hardware?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

If you create the horizon server as a virtual machine they can be. You install esxi and install them in it.

0 Kudos