VMware Horizon Community
kirtanpatel
Contributor
Contributor

Is it Possible in VMware View???

Hello Friends

following things is possible in Vmware View and i want to use only PCOIP.

1) Local CD Rom redirection.

2) Local Driver redirection.

3) Local Desktop to View Desktop Copy Paste.

4) Usb redirection.

5) View Desktop web access without web plugin..

If this things possible in vmware view then please guide me how this?

Please reply....

Thanks & Regards

Kirtan Patel

Email kirtanp1@gmail.com

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Answers inline:

kirtanpatel wrote:

Hello Friends

following things is possible in Vmware View and i want to use only PCOIP.

1) Local CD Rom redirection.

No (RDP only) Local drive like functionality is only available with the use of a USB attached CDRom.

2) Local Driver redirection.

No (RDP only) Local drive like functionality is only available with the use of a USB attached HDD.

3) Local Desktop to View Desktop Copy Paste.

Yes:

This is copied from the Admin guide

Configure clipboard redirection

#Determines the direction in which clipboard redirection is allowed. You can select one of these values:

#

###Enabled client to server only  (That is, allow  copy and paste only from the client system to the View desktop.)

###Disabled in both directions

###Enabled in both directions

###Enabled server to client only (That is, allow  copy and paste only from the View desktop to the client system.)

#Clipboard  redirection is implemented as a virtual channel. If virtual channels  are disabled, clipboard redirection does not function.

#This setting applies to the server only.

#When this setting is disabled or not configured, the default value is #Enabled client to server only.

4) Usb redirection.

Yes it is possible with PCIOP see the following KB article for further infomation:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103620...

NO, no client not connection

If this things possible in vmware view then please guide me how this?

Message was edited by: tom howarth to reflect reality based on comment by Linjo

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

On #2. Local Drive Redirection only works with RDP, not PCoIP.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Good point, I missed that one my bad.

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert

You can have local USB CD/DVD redirection with Zero clients.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

NO, no client not connection

This is actually possible now with View 5.2, you can access a view desktop from any html5-capable browser without any plugins.

Its called "Browser based access" and uses "Blast" as protocol.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Now that is nice, what is the performance (VMware marketing and engineering hat off Smiley Wink )

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Not in marketing so no worries there... 🙂

Its pretty good actually, I used it often to do small quick things like running a powershell-script or a MMC-plugin and since I do 90% of my work in a webbrowser anyway its much faster to open a new tab and access View that way then launching the native client. (I'm on a MB Air btw)

You do loose things like sound, usb-redirection etc but that is not critical for me anyway.

// Linjo

0 Kudos
markgladson
Contributor
Contributor

#1 - is this being considered?  I have a large customer who is requesting this.

0 Kudos