VMware Horizon Community
stlsuz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is anyone successfully scanning with usb scanners with a virtual desktop

We are doing a view 4.5 deployment. Our snag is usb scanners. Whether they are connected to a zero client/thin client or a repurposed desktop, the usb scanning causes the virtual desktop to randomly disconnect. I'm working with vmware on this. I'm not having bandwidth issues, I've already ruled that out. I need to know if anyone is successfully doing this and if so what scanners are you using? We are using fujitsu scan snap s1500. This happens on xp and windows 7 so it's not an OS issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We are using the software that came with the scanner and they are scanning to PDF. Not to many people using it as most of our View users operate remotly. On a side note i did take the scanner home one day and performed USB redirection from my house. It was painfully slow but it did work Smiley Happy So far I haven't had any luck getting it to work with the Wyse P20 zero client.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter: http://twitter.com/mittim12

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We have successfully tested the Cannon 2050 and 2010 USB scanners through USB redirection. This was done with on physical desktops connected to Windows XP VI machines. The only thing noted was the high bandwidth usage when scanning color copies.

I have a couple of Wyse P20 machines I can try to test redirection with. I'll have to see if I can get one of the scanners and report back to you.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
stlsuz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a couple more questions for you on the scanners. I actually have a another dept not using vdi but using the canon 2050's. I'm going to borrow a couple of them to test with.

What software are you using to scan? Are you using the job registration tool with the 2050? Are you using adobe acrobat to scan? Are you scanning tiff or pdfs?

I'm trying to scan tiffs and pdfs at 300dpi black only no color. I'm just curious about how you are scanning. How many people do you have using the scanners? I have found that a physical xp desktop connected with the scanner works better than the zero client currently. Teradici is supposed to release a firmware in early 2011 that will address the scanner issues with the zero client. I'm looking forward to testing the 2050 and see what happens.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We are using the software that came with the scanner and they are scanning to PDF. Not to many people using it as most of our View users operate remotly. On a side note i did take the scanner home one day and performed USB redirection from my house. It was painfully slow but it did work Smiley Happy So far I haven't had any luck getting it to work with the Wyse P20 zero client.

0 Kudos
stlsuz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are you using persistent/fixed or non persistent/floating desktops? I am currently using floating ones. Are you using roaming profiles? I'm just curious how all of your scanners are working.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It has been tested in both sucesfully. In our flexible pools we utilize Appsense for profile management and in the dedicated pools there are persistent disk for profiles.

mholgate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Was there any resolve to the Zero Client disconnects due to USB scanners?

I am in the middle of a View 4.5 deployment which is going rather well except for random zero client disconnects. The disconnects are occuring on systems that have multiple USB type scanners connected. The scanner types are Ambir Passport P667 and P662 ID scanners, Sybol Handheld barcode scanner, Magtek card scanner (mag strip reader) as well as Epson TM6000i check verification printer.

The Zero Client model is the Samsung NC190 updated to the PCoIP 3.2.1 firmware

Mike...  VM Virtually!!

Mike... VM, Virtually!!
0 Kudos
stlsuz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mike,

I have a case open with Teradici for this.  They have a new firmware release 3.3.0 scheduled for release early 2011 which should address USB devices disconnecting.  They are supposed to email all customers when its released.

Susan

0 Kudos
stlsuz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are you using rdp or pcoip when scanning?  How about multiple monitors?  Which OS are you using in the virtual desktop?

0 Kudos
mholgate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are using PCoIP for all clients which are Windows XP SP3 desktops. These are all single monitor clients. The client disconnects are not during any scanning process but random.

Mike... VM Virtually!!

Mike... VM, Virtually!!
0 Kudos
PCoIPinsider
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The 3.3.0 firmware release has now been posted.

Release download -  Firmware Release 3.3.0 v321 (February 4, 2011) (login required)

Thank-you!

Ian

0 Kudos