VMware Horizon Community
mortengh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is VMware View overengineered?

Hello!

Having a small company VMware View seems WAY too complicated and overengineered. Can that be true?

I mean the alternative is a pWindows machine connecting to a vWindows machine with mstsc.exe. I know it is not completely the same but there is also very long way between a solution that works out-of-the-box and VMware View with lots of client OS installation, directory servers, view security servers, view connection servers, view transfer server, thin viewers, view composer tool and all that overhead that is required to get this working.

And then it only works for Windows desktops. Using something like the console redirection in vSphere client is able to view all OS'es - even Android!

(Ok! Forcing my employees to use the vSphere client for their daily work would proberbly result in a lot of resignations 😉 ) but I is possible!

Am I missing something here? I mean VMware-View-Evaluators-Guide.pdf is 152 pages long (!!!) - "mstsc.exe remoteserver" is just.... one line?!

Isn't there a much simpler solution for this. Its like building a spaceship for getting a Coke at the nearest 7-11. It is 'just' a remote display for crying out loud! 🙂

Best regards,

- Morten Green Hermansen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmblogza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Remember when you are dealing with 10-50 VM's thats nothing for View to be honest.

You see like for a company of 10 or 20 depending what lines you have you could find a service provider where they can provide you with DaaS ( Desktop as a Service) and that would cut like a lot of costs Smiley Happy

I have done a small deployment without expensive storage and expensive servers and the system worked well.

Then give the user a Zero-Client and boom !

Best regards, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". Please visit my blog at http://vmblog.co.za

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmblogza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Isn't there a much simpler solution for this. Its like building a spaceship for getting a Coke at the nearest 7-11. It is 'just' a remote display for crying out loud! 🙂

Well look View is actually very basic in a small company but i do not know if you will see the benifit.

The statement you made that VDI is just remote desktop is not tru, VDI is much much more than that. For large deployment of like 15 000 users you will see the benifit Smiley Happy But yea we have about 400 users and we are seeing the benifit. I will give you one example is just power? The Zero-Clients use next to no power so each year we have significant savings.

To be honest you caoul deploy view in a 10-50 user environment that will cut hardware and administration costs.

Best regards, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". Please visit my blog at http://vmblog.co.za
0 Kudos
mortengh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello vmblogza!

Thanks for your reply!

Ok, I just wanted to hear from you guys who have actually installed and used VMware View.

So, I might have been overwhelmed by the 'relative complexity' of the VDI layer!

But it is a bit of releaf that you still thinks it is well worth it. Even for a small 10 user installation.

Do everybody aggree? 🙂

Best regards,

- Morten

0 Kudos
vmblogza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Remember when you are dealing with 10-50 VM's thats nothing for View to be honest.

You see like for a company of 10 or 20 depending what lines you have you could find a service provider where they can provide you with DaaS ( Desktop as a Service) and that would cut like a lot of costs Smiley Happy

I have done a small deployment without expensive storage and expensive servers and the system worked well.

Then give the user a Zero-Client and boom !

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think it all depends on what your trying to acconmplish.   I mean you don't need to install a security sever if your not going to try and service remote users and  you wouldn't need something like personlization if your using dedicated desktops.    It can be really complicated but it can also be really simple provided you design it correctly.

0 Kudos