VMware Horizon Community
pchapman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Is Server 2016 Core supported for Connection Server?

I don't see anything in the current documentation stating otherwise, and as far as I can tell, it works fine.  But is it supported?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Server core OS installations are not supported. Horizon Connection Server 7.1 requires "Server with Desktop Experience" versions of:

• Windows Server 2008 R2
  • Windows Server 2012 R2
  • Windows Server 2016

Mark

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ALEX_TSM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Documentation for VMware Horizon 7 version 7.1

Only

Standard and Datacenter

0 Kudos
pchapman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Sure, but you can run either of those in Core mode without the desktop experience.  I'm wondering if that's supported.  I thought I recalled seeing in the past that it wasn't supported, but can't find the source now. 

0 Kudos
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Your issue is when you call in to VMware support. It likely is possible to call the View Connection Server installer and get things running. However, VMware will not be keen on trying to troubleshoot a product they only support with a full windows GUI install.

I always play it safe in regards to Vendor Software or Hardware compatibility lists. Unless its my own lab, Smiley Happy.

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos
pchapman
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I agree, I only install what is supported by the interoperability matrix, install guide, etc.  In this case I can't find anything stating that only the "Desktop Experience" is supported.  I also don't see anything stating that "Core" is NOT supported.  Just looking for clarification from VMware.

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Server core OS installations are not supported. Horizon Connection Server 7.1 requires "Server with Desktop Experience" versions of:

• Windows Server 2008 R2
  • Windows Server 2012 R2
  • Windows Server 2016

Mark