VMware Horizon Community
mmaus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Invalid response code: 500

Im trying to setup Horizon for the first time and am at the point in the instructions (Creating an Optimized Windows Image for a VMware Horizon Virtual Desktop | VMware ) where it had me create my master image, download it as an OVF template, delete the image, and then redeploy it.  This is labeled "Export the VM to Adjust Disk Size"

When I go to deploy the OVF template I get an error stating:
"Failed to deploy OVF package.  ThrowableProxy.cause A general system error occured: Transfer failed: Invalid response code: 500."

I cant seem to find any description on what this error code corresponds to or what steps to take next to try and correct it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mmaus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found a solution \ work-around.

If you are seeing the sihost.exe error after running the OOBE generalization process...revert back to a snapshot before the finalization step > go to system configuration > services tab > hide all Microsoft services > Disable All > Finalize

pastedImage_0.png

This got me past the sihost.exe error mentioned above.  After I got back into the desktop after completing the setup I just reversed the instructions above and re-enabled the services and then  upload the VM to create my data pool.

FYI...when you go to turn the services back up...uncheck one service and then the "Enable All" button will no longer be greyed out.  I unchecked one service, hit enable all, apply...then unchecked another service, hit enable all, and apply...just to make sure everything was back on.

Hope this might help someone else.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try downloading the ovftool

OVF Tool Documentation

and try that to readd it I'd also suggest skipping that step and replacing it with

vmkfstools -K /path/to/disk-name.vmdk

from

VMware Knowledge Base

I believe that's the purpose of that is to save the space. The problem I see is importing ovf template can be problematic in some cases so I try not to do anything like that.

0 Kudos
mmaus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do I need to recreate the image again and then run the OVFTool against the .vmdk file...or can I run the OVFTool on the .mvdk file that was created when I exported the previously created VM to an OVF template?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No just use the ovftool to import it again

Use ovftool to Deploy a VM from a Client OVF or OVA Template

0 Kudos
mmaus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Trying the vmkfstools...I got an error stating "Failed to open virtual disk '<VMFileName.vmdk>': The file specified is not a virtual disk (15).  :smileycry:

0 Kudos
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Export/Import of the OVF is not necessary for a thinning process.

Use vmkfstools -K as sjesse described on the image's VMDK file, or if possible, storage vMotion the VM to another datastore.

-Nick

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You need to make sure the vm is off and you select the actuall vmdk file not the vm,  select so if I look at a vm in my lab

[file1_pool1_ds1] hz1.sjlab.net/hz1.sjlab.net.vmdk

you need to change that to /vmfs/volumes/file1_pool1_ds1/hz1.sjlab.net/hz1.sjlab.net.vmdk

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Storage vmotion only works if you have different size block sizes, its mentioned in the kb  I referenced earlier

0 Kudos
mmaus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In response to the comments provided.

- There is no VM to turn off.  The instructions said after exporting the VM to an OVF template...to delete the VM from the disk and redeploy the OVF.  This is where I was seeing the original error.

- As for having different block...this was completed with the VMWare OS Optimization Tool prior to exporting the OVF template and uses the SDelete program mentioned in the KB article reference earlier.

- In reference to the command asked to be run....i change the location of my prompt to the folder where the .vmdk file was located and then ran vmkfstools -K Win10-1909-Master.vmdk
This produced the error of "Failed to open virtual disk 'Win10-1909-Master.vmdk>': The file specified is not a virtual disk (15)."

I am now in the processes of recreating the VM once again.  Thank you for your suggestions.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

- There is no VM to turn off.  The instructions said after exporting the VM to an OVF template...to delete the VM from the disk and redeploy the OVF.  This is where I was seeing the original error.

This was in reference to instead of exporting the VM, do this instead. The main purpose of the export and import is to reduce the size

- As for having different block...this was completed with the VMWare OS Optimization Tool prior to exporting the OVF template and uses the SDelete program mentioned in the KB article reference earlier.

This is in regards to the datastore size, you can do storage motions, and if the datstore size is different the size of the vmdk will shrink if blocks became free.

- In reference to the command asked to be run....i change the location of my prompt to the folder where the .vmdk file was located and then ran vmkfstools -K Win10-1909-Master.vmdk
This produced the error of "Failed to open virtual disk 'Win10-1909-Master.vmdk>': The file specified is not a virtual disk (15)."

You need to look at where the file is, the message is telling you its not a real disk when it looks.

0 Kudos
mmaus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

pastedImage_0.png

Here is a screenshot of the image I was trying to import.  Im not sure what I was doing wrong here as these are the files that were created when the Export to OVF Template option was selected.and

- I have recreated the image....again... and have gotten it uploaded, but its not right.  I ran the OS Optimization Tool and when I use the generalize button and reboot I get an sihost.exe - System Error.

- I reverted back to a snapshot and ran the OSOT without running the generalization function and all my instant images now have the sysprep screen on them.

- If I manually choose to exit the and Enter the System Out-of-Box-Experience...I then get sent back to the very beginning of the Windows install....Am I suppose to join this Golden Image manually into my AD?

- So is entering into the Audit mode even really necessary per the VMware documentation listed in the link below?
Creating an Optimized Windows Image for a VMware Horizon Virtual Desktop | VMware

This was just suppose to be a proof of concept for my company and I have spent WAY too much time trying to just get a working image to cooperate.

0 Kudos
mmaus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found a solution \ work-around.

If you are seeing the sihost.exe error after running the OOBE generalization process...revert back to a snapshot before the finalization step > go to system configuration > services tab > hide all Microsoft services > Disable All > Finalize

pastedImage_0.png

This got me past the sihost.exe error mentioned above.  After I got back into the desktop after completing the setup I just reversed the instructions above and re-enabled the services and then  upload the VM to create my data pool.

FYI...when you go to turn the services back up...uncheck one service and then the "Enable All" button will no longer be greyed out.  I unchecked one service, hit enable all, apply...then unchecked another service, hit enable all, and apply...just to make sure everything was back on.

Hope this might help someone else.

0 Kudos
Mario_Rivas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello.  I did experience the same issue.  What I did to avoid getting the error was, first, on the master image, create a snapshot.  Then, export it as an OVF template. Finally, on a different VCenter, deploy OVF Template, using all the files created when the VM was export it as an OVF.  The process finished successfully.  Creating the snapshot, first, did make the difference.  Didn't need to disable any service nor use putty nor to use ovftool.

mariocloud
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Mario_Rivas, I confirm that your workaround worked fine also for me.. and I applied it to 4 VMs export OVF template..

Great job..
Thx a lot..
Ciao..Mario