VMware Horizon Community
jbrazio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Invalid input parameter cSpec.NewDiskSpec.DatastorePath for desktop provisioning. Reason: ValidationFailure

This is wierd..

Does anyone have an ideia what is going on ?

When I enable the pool provisioning the task exits with the error "Provisioning error occurred for Machine pt01tv001: Cloning failed for Machine".

Following is the log file from the View Connection server.

17:41:06,507 INFO  <TP-Processor3> [DesktopManager] User XXXXX is enabling provisioning of desktop with id: wxp-p01t.
17:41:09,882 INFO  <propagate-2cc7cf23-082b-44c8-b1a9-770bc3594830> [PendingOperation] Pool control for desktop wxp-p01t is provisioning VM pt01tv001
17:41:14,866 INFO  <PendingOperation-/Carnaxide/vm/Desktops/Pools/wxp-p01t/pt01tv001> [PendingOperation] Pool wxp-p01t:: Datastore(s) selected for new clone:  /Carnaxide/host/ptcarn-dl380-g6-vdi/eva4400-vdi_sd01 (system disks) and /Carnaxide/host/ptcarn-dl380-g6-vdi/eva4400-vdi_ud01(user data disk)
17:41:32,023 ERROR <PendingOperation-/Carnaxide/vm/Desktops/Pools/wxp-p01t/pt01tv001> [SVIConnection] Desktop Composer Error:VMware.Sim.Fault.InvalidParameterFaultParam: cSpec.NewDiskSpec.DatastorePath Detail: ValidationFailure; Error Type:com.vmware.SviService.InvalidParameterFault;Error FaultActor:null; Error code:{http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/}Client; Error details:[Lorg.w3c.dom.Element;@33fedb53Invalid parameter:cSpec.NewDiskSpec.DatastorePath
17:41:32,023 ERROR <PendingOperation-/Carnaxide/vm/Desktops/Pools/wxp-p01t/pt01tv001> [SVIException] View Composer Fault: Invalid input parameter cSpec.NewDiskSpec.DatastorePath for desktop provisioning. Reason: ValidationFailure
17:41:32,023 ERROR <PendingOperation-/Carnaxide/vm/Desktops/Pools/wxp-p01t/pt01tv001> [PendingOperation] Pool cn=2cc7cf23-082b-44c8-b1a9-770bc3594830,ou=virtualcenter,ou=properties,dc=vdi,dc=vmware,dc=int::Unable to create new VM - View Composer Fault: Invalid input parameter cSpec.NewDiskSpec.DatastorePath for desktop provisioning. Reason: ValidationFailure
17:41:32,039 ERROR <PendingOperation-/Carnaxide/vm/Desktops/Pools/wxp-p01t/pt01tv001> [PoolInformation] Pool control for desktop wxp-p01t is disabling provisioning due to a clone error - View Composer Fault: Invalid input parameter cSpec.NewDiskSpec.DatastorePath for desktop provisioning. Reason: ValidationFailure
17:41:32,039 INFO  <PendingOperation-/Carnaxide/vm/Desktops/Pools/wxp-p01t/pt01tv001> [VirtualCenterDriver] VirtualCenter control for https://xx.xx.xx.xx:443/sdk is suspending operations - VM operation failed: com.vmware.vdi.svisupport.SVIException: View Composer Fault: Invalid input parameter cSpec.NewDiskSpec.DatastorePath for desktop provisioning. Reason: ValidationFailure
17:41:32,039 INFO  <PendingOperation-/Carnaxide/vm/Desktops/Pools/wxp-p01t/pt01tv001> [Audit] VC_DISABLED:VC:cn=2cc7cf23-082b-44c8-b1a9-770bc3594830,ou=virtualcenter,ou=properties,dc=vdi,dc=vmware,dc=int;REASON:VM operation failed: com.vmware.vdi.svisupport.SVIException: View Composer Fault: Invalid input parameter cSpec.NewDiskSpec.DatastorePath for desktop provisioning. Reason: ValidationFailure;

If directly connect to the vCenter server using the user for View Composer or the user set on the "vCenter Server Settings", I am able to do all operations (I manually tested clonning).

The two users are defined on vCenter with the role "View Administrators" based on the document "view45_installation_guide.pdf". The role it's not defined at top level (vCenter level) but on each of the need components (Resource pools, Folders, Datastore and network).

----- If you find this post helpful please don't forget to award points to it.
0 Kudos
15 Replies
jbrazio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I forgot to mention that I'm running 4.5 and both w2k3-64bit server have 2vCPU and 3GB of RAM.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Sure that the datastore is reacheble by each host?

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
jbrazio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep..

When I connected using the defined user I tried to clone from the template datastore into the systemdisk datastore and also to the userdisk datastore; everything worked fine.

The validation error is a wierd one !

-

If you find this post helpful please don't forget to award points to it.

0 Kudos
niceed00
Contributor
Contributor

We're having the same issue. How did you resolve this?

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

What happends if you try to put the rights from the root instead? Have seen similar issues...

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
niceed00
Contributor
Contributor

What rights to what root?

Edward A Nice

c) 614-226-3840

0 Kudos
jbrazio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I assigned the View Composer role (http://bit.ly/aEOLEM) to the vCenter root, and denied on the things I didn't want it to access.

-

0 Kudos
davfoley
Contributor
Contributor

This only seems to happen for me when I attempt to use a differnet datastore for the persistent disks. It doesnt seem to be permissions affiliated.

0 Kudos
jbrazio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are the pools created on the View Administrator root folder ?

(Go to Inventory > Pools > Folder)

-

0 Kudos
niceed00
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I just came to the same conclusion this morning. Linked Clones are fine if both OS and Persistent data is directed to the same data store.

0 Kudos
niceed00
Contributor
Contributor

Pools created on the View Administrator root folder ?

I have.

Home

--> Inventory

-

> Search

-

> Hosts and Clusters

-

> VMs and Templates

-

> Datastores

-

> Networking

0 Kudos
jbrazio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You're looking from vCenter level, I was talking about View Administration level.

When you create a new pool you're able to specify a folder where to put the pool, once again it's not the VM folder where the VMs are stored on vCenter.

-

0 Kudos
niceed00
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, they are in the root of View Administrator. I have not created any folders.

0 Kudos
niceed00
Contributor
Contributor

Created a folder and then a new pool in the folder. Still fails with the same error

Invalid input parameter cSpec.NewDiskSpec.DatastorePath for desktop provisioning. Reason: ValidationFailure

0 Kudos
turnbe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi dont know if you guys figured this out or not, but I have had the same issue, the problem for us was on one of our 6 hosts the percistent disk LUN wasnt mapped, and beacuse that host was part of the view cluster it didnt allow the creation of vm's.

Once I added the percisted disk LUN it started working sweet as!

Thanks

0 Kudos