VMware Horizon Community
marcseitz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interessting behavior with Sound-Output when connecting USB-Headset

Hi Guys,

I hope one of you can help me.

I have a vDesktop with Win8 and View Agent 5.2.0.987719 intalled. When connecting to this Client I can see the Audio Device "VMware Virtual Audio (DevTap)" and this is working fine to put the Sound to my physical Computer and there to the Loudspeaker.

Everything is working as expected!

When I'm going ahead and connect a USB-Headset via USB-Redirection, then the Headset is getting connected properly to my vDesktop and it's working fine as well!

Now I try to Play a Sound via Windows-Configuration over the VMware Virtual Audio device - Then I can't hear anything, although the configuration of this device doesn't change.

I've tried to do the same test with the Teradici Virtual Audio Driver - exact same behavior than the DevTap from VMware.

The Background why I Need this:

- VMware Virtual Audio: Here I will hear the Sound via Loudspeaker when I have a incoming Lync call

- USB-Headset: This should be used during the Lync call

Does anybody have an idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Marc

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

If I understand your post correct then I believe this is a limitation in Windows, you can only have 1 default audio device where the sound is played.

Can you achieve what you want on a physical windows PC?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
marcseitz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Linjo,

thanks for your answer!

It's not a limitation of Windows and not a limitation of View.

My coleague is using a Zero-Client and is using the Configuration I need:

- Sound Output (Videos (p.e. Yourube), Windows Sounds, ....) on the Loudspeaker, connected via analog output

- Conferences (WebEx, Lync...) via the USB-Headset

Connected USB-Headset: (physical Windows-Client (Win8) and virtual Desktop (Win8))

I've attached a Screenshot (vClientWithUSBHeadset.png) of the Sound-Settings from my virtual Client. When I click on the "Test-Button" for...

- ..."Jabra Link 180" (USB-Headset), I can hear the Sound and see the movement of the visualization

- ... "Teradici Virtual Audio Driver", I can see the movement of the visualization, but can't hear anything via Loudspeaker

Without USB-Headset: (physical Windows-Client (Win8) and virtual Desktop (Win8))

I've attached a Screenshot (vClientWithoutUSBHeadset.png) of the Sound-Settings from my virtual Client. When I click on the "Test-Button" for...

- ..."Jabra Link 180" (USB-Headset), is not present

- ... "Teradici Virtual Audio Driver", I can see the movement of the visualization and I can hear the Sound via Loudspeaker

During the test with and without USB-Headset, I didn't reconnect to the virtual Client.

I hope this makes clear, what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

Marc

0 Kudos
JDoek
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm your screenshot triggers me.

We also use headsets in combination with lync and as far as i know you should do a few things:

1. install the lync vdi plugin on the thin client.

2. Set a vmare view GPO to block the usb ID of the headset from usb passthrough.

3. Select the headset in Lync as the playback/mic device.

Also check the volume setting on the thin client.

0 Kudos