VMware Horizon Community
Kermitdafwog
Contributor
Contributor

Integrating Horizon into an existing vSphere cluster

Hello

I have been asked to design and build a new Horizon environment.  The environment will be running on IBM blades contained in a single chassis which will already be running vSphere (vCenter 5.x and approx. 8 ESXi hosts).  I am not 100% sure if the hosts will all sit in one cluster or if they will be split but my question is this.  Can I integrate my Horizon bits into this existing setup or does best practice dictate that I should reserve a few hosts for a dedicated Horizon View cluster?  From a networking perspective this would make sense as the desktop VLAN wouldn't be required anywhere other than for the VDIs but I may not be given this option by the design of the main vSphere environment.

Can anyone share with me their thoughts on how best to approach this? This is my first Horizon project but have experience in XenApp and VDI-in-a-box

We are expecting to host the Horizon database alongside vCenter's on a full fat SQL server which I assume is ok, and will have Composer running on vCenter alongside 2 separate Connection servers.

One other aspect - AD was supposed to be running on Windows 2012 but I have read that this isn't supported/allowed yet - does anyone know when this is likely to change?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
response3
Contributor
Contributor

Great question, and it's one that I also have.  Anyone?

0 Kudos