VMware Horizon Community
BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Integrated printing defect - default printer

According to VMware we are supposed to report defects to the community. This is a known defect but apparently it is not being addressed. Integrated printing automatically assigns the client local printer as the default, and it cannot be changed, except to implement a bat file to delete a registry setting at every logon, and some people report that doesn't work consistently. I only just discovered this defect because I upgraded to 7.13 and recreated every desktop pool to instant clones. At the same time I added integrated printing thinking it was the latest and greatest. Most users use network printers, I only wanted to give them the option to use a local printer. On one pool this is causing a printing error at logon and the spooler is crashing. Now I have to go back and re-install the agent on every master to remove this "feature." Sorry for the rant but I just worked for two days straight in a small maintenance window to get all this done and now I have to redo every pool. I found a post from a few months ago (sorry I can't seem to find it again)  that it was being addressed after 7.12 came out, but  I have heard that this is still a problem in 2006.

So, anyone one know if this is going to be addressed?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
mat2k7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

sadly, there is still no GPO which allows to disable the local default printer mapping without disabling the entire feature itself that i am aware of, but you could do just that without having to redo all pools in case you have not done it already. 

I have implemented the bat file fix but it indeed does not work consistently. I have paired the bat fix with an older fix for Thinprint which exports a printer registry setting to a networkshare (profile location for each user) on logoff and imports it on logon to their VDI session.

This works most of the time. An official fix would be much appreciated

Mat

View solution in original post

chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There is a GPO in Horizon 8 (2012) called “Do not change default printer” that should resolve this issue  

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon/2012/horizon-remote-desktop-features/GUID-81E84F1C-C446-46...

Chris Halstead
Senior Staff Architect, EUC Technical Marketing
chalstead@vmware.com
Twitter: @chrisdhalstead

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mat2k7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

sadly, there is still no GPO which allows to disable the local default printer mapping without disabling the entire feature itself that i am aware of, but you could do just that without having to redo all pools in case you have not done it already. 

I have implemented the bat file fix but it indeed does not work consistently. I have paired the bat fix with an older fix for Thinprint which exports a printer registry setting to a networkshare (profile location for each user) on logoff and imports it on logon to their VDI session.

This works most of the time. An official fix would be much appreciated

Mat

BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Mat, thanks for you response and your work with the .bat files. I am ahead of my project schedule for upgrading from 7.11 - 7.13 - 2006, so it looks like I will be going to 2006 this weekend and I'll be re-installing the agent anyway so I can revert back to virtual printing or just leaving my users with network share printing only. Most of them are still working from home though. I do have a scenario coming up for one group where I may need integrated printing so I'll keep your work around handy.

0 Kudos
chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There is a GPO in Horizon 8 (2012) called “Do not change default printer” that should resolve this issue  

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon/2012/horizon-remote-desktop-features/GUID-81E84F1C-C446-46...

Chris Halstead
chalstead@vmware.com
0 Kudos
BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good news, thank you.

0 Kudos
mat2k7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is there any chance this is going to be made available in 7.13?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

7.13 is already out do you mean the next non 8 release

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-7/7.13/rn/horizon-713-view-release-notes.html

0 Kudos
chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There won't be any more 7.x releases except ESB updates which just include security fixes (no features) so very doubtful it would end up in 7.x

Chris Halstead
chalstead@vmware.com
0 Kudos
mat2k7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, i mean the new admx templates containing the "Do not change default printer" setting which chris mentioned is available for Horizon 8(2012).

Would be great having this setting in Horizon 7.13 as our users are still complaining about their default printer being changed. 

0 Kudos
davebaker87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HI Mat - did you find a workaround for this? I'm getting sporadic reports of default printer not being retained and the .xml file for it (in profile archive) is showing the correct default printer. However, I cannot determine if we have VIP enabled or not (I think we must do?). I'm using the standard Network Printers template in DEM 2106. Sounds like we need to upgrade to Horizon 8 and use the admx to fix this...

0 Kudos
davebaker87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Resolved this by disabling the thinprint services (TPAutoConnect and TPVCGateway) and disabling 'Let windows manage default printer' GPO setting.

0 Kudos