VMware Horizon Community
DameonJanes
Contributor
Contributor

Integrated Printing - Printer Name (vdi)

We have recently upgraded from Horizon 7.10 to 8 and have been using ThinPrint for several years.  Our core application requires 3 named local printers.  After the upgrade, and after importing the ThinPrint .csv into a newly created GPO for its replacement, I noticed that all of the created printers have (vdi) appended to the end of the name of the printer object.

I have found that by enabling the 'Printer Name Schema for RDSH Agents', I can effect some change as listed below.

%P - No Change 'printername' (vdi)
%P () - No Change 'printername' (vdi)
%P (*) - Something changed!!!! 'printername' (*)
"%P" - No Change 'printername' (vdi)
"%P ()" - No Change 'printername' (vdi)

What I need is for the created printers to have the name that I am setting for them in the policy.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VIP currently supports the following:

VDI: original-printer-name(vdi)

RDSH: original-printer-name(customized string)

Note:

VDI suffix is to avoid the confusion that printer on client machine and one on Agent VM have the same name.

RDSH customization schema is defined in the policy as you outlined.

"What I need is for the created printers to have the name that I am setting for them in the policy"

Please describe your requirement in details. E.g., do you want to personize the whole name or just want the pattern of original-name + customized string? Do you want parenthesis in picture? What if there's a name confliction? etc.

0 Kudos
DameonJanes
Contributor
Contributor

The names of the created printer objects need to be exactly what is listed in the policy without any extra suffixes.  An example would be our receipt printers.  On a standard workstation, non-VM, we create a printer object with a specific name that then gets used by a service that is used by our core program to print the receipts. The servicing software is reliant upon that printer object name to route the print job correctly.  There are also 2 other printer objects that have to be named correctly in order for the core app to utilize them.  In summary, if I state in the policy that the name is to be 'ReceiptPTR', then the resulting print object needs to be just that and not 'ReceiptPTR (vdi)'.  It is understandable that redirected printers have the suffix in order to know where the printer is being redirected from, but since these are not redirected, why would they get a suffix at all?

0 Kudos
chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is a new Group Policy Object in Horizon 8 (2012) called “Printer Name Schema” that should address this 

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon/2012/horizon-remote-desktop-features/GUID-81E84F1C-C446-46...

Chris Halstead
Senior Staff Architect, EUC Technical Marketing
chalstead@vmware.com
Twitter: @chrisdhalstead
0 Kudos
kvmw2130
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello ,

Using 8.4 2111 would be solution here

Horizon Agent =8.3 and below ==> %P (*) --> only * option was customizable Horizon Agent

Horizon Agent 8.4 [2111 ] and above ==> %P* --> We can customize the name we want or keep the exact same name matching the client printer name by just keeping the %P

It works for both RDSH and VDI desktop agents.

0 Kudos