VMware Horizon Community
nherder
Contributor
Contributor

Instant clones must have vGPU attached to Master Image?

Hello.

We are running Horizon 7.11 and using Instant Clones. Recently, we installed NVIDIA Tesla v100's in two of our hosts and setup a dedicated pool to using a vGPU. Is there a way to have a vGPU on a machine without having a vGPU on the master image? Since we're using instant clones, this uses two of our NVIDIA licenses before the VM is actually created. I've read in a few different articles that the master image doesn't need its own vGPU, but I haven't found a place in Horizon to achieve this. Any pointers?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You need to first add GPU configuration on your master image to prepare it for instant clone deployment. The same GPU profile you will select later while create instant clone desktop pool.

Preparing for NVIDIA GRID vGPU Capabilities

0 Kudos
nherder
Contributor
Contributor

We have the master images prepared and producing workstations based off that master image. I am trying to figure out if there is a way Horizon can add the vGPU during creation of the virtual workstations instead of having to have the vGPU installed on our master image as a Shared PCI device. Having the vGPU installed on our master images is using two licenses, one for the master image, one for the replica.

0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No this is not possible. You need to have vGPU profile selected on master VM to provision vGPU based linked clones and instant clone desktops out of it.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos