VMware Horizon Community
fnormand
Contributor
Contributor

Instant clones issues

Hello,

We are in the process of building a VDI infrastructure and doing some test on a sandbox one.

We built a connection server, composer server and we have no issue to generate Linked clones.

When it comes to Instant clones I can never have instant clones machines created as it stops after the creation of the original templates. That templates is registered on Ad and after a certain time I get the following error message: Error during provisioning: Initial publish failed: Fault type is UNKNOWN_FAULT_FATAL - After waiting for 600 seconds internal template VM: vm-1657 is still has not finished customization. Giving up!

I read some information on that forum but didn't find any solution or lead to solve my problem.

Does anyone already had that issue and was able to go around.

Frederic

0 Kudos
13 Replies
danieldietrich
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Frederic,

one reason why you can get this error could be, that your Instant Clones Template VM is not able to join to the Active Directory Domain.

Please start a new Instant Clones Deployment and wait for the creation of the Template VM. The normal behavior is, that this VM joins to the Domain and after this it will do a reboot.

If the reboot doesn't occur, log in at the Conole of the vSphere Web Client and try to log in with your AD credentials. Is this possible or do you get an error about a failed trust relationship between the VM and your Domain??

Best regards Daniel Dietrich VCP, VCAP, vExpert & EUC-Champion
fnormand
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Daniel for your reply.

The templates is actually on the ad, get it's own Ip address and I was able to log in with my ad account. It look more it cannot create the replica for a reason I do not know and then timed out.

0 Kudos
uchemist
Contributor
Contributor

I fell your pain brother,

support gave us this fix below and after installing this patch our instant clone pool published without failure. Uninstall the view agent, install this fix, then reinstall the agent.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2550978/-0x0000007b-stop-error-after-you-replace-an-identic...

So after further troubleshooting, we also found that our parent needed to have at least 10gb or more drive space free. So we had to clone our parent vm and change the template and snap information on the pool.

0 Kudos
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is your master image by any chance Win 7 SP1?  If so, you might have hit this MSFT issue Initial publish of an instant-clone desktop pool image fails and the template VMs are deleted (21449...

Angela Ge Product Line Manager, VMware Horizon
0 Kudos
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is it the same image you use for the composer clones? You should not have both capabilities enabled when you install the view agent.

0 Kudos
fnormand
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Our Image is Windows 10.

We moved on a different infrastructure where instant clones are working. but I am curious and still try to find what was wrong on the previous one

0 Kudos
sandhog
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes. I am having the same issue. I get to created Template and replica (clone of the template basically) during Instant Clone creation. However, I dont get to create the parent VM's. I have super research everything with no luck. Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
rdonohue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure if it's the same issue, but I'm dealing with something similar. In my case if I check the console of the cp-template machine it's stuck shutting down.  If I leave it like this it will fail. If I power it off it will finish the push successfully. Weird thing is that this happens about 9 times out of 10, so not every time. The golden image is able to shut down fine, and the created instant clones can too. It's only this cp-template machine that gets stuck.

0 Kudos
Dudstor
Contributor
Contributor

Did you resolve this issue?

0 Kudos
fnormand
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

Personally we did not resolve the issue in our test environment.

We migrate on another environment that became our production one and it work, one of the big difference and it was my next verification is the type of vSwitch we were using. In our test it was standard switch and in the production it's distributed switch.

Hope you all find a solution to your problem.

0 Kudos
truonghq54
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i have same issue and solved this issue.

i check in my AD, when instance clone is created, cp-template join AD with the name start with "it......" and description " Internal Template account. Can be deleted if the VM cp-..... doesn't esxit in the VC "

Remove it and re-create instance clone

0 Kudos
JunjiYamaguchi
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem, and in my case, I just forgot to enable  "VMware Instant Clone Agent" when I installed VMware-Horizon-Agent-x86... at the parent VM.

I hope it would help.

Thank you.

Junji

0 Kudos
cbaptiste
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What version of Horizon View are you using. This is a known issue in 7.10.0/1 and there is a workaround for it. It is also fixed in 7.10.2

0 Kudos