VMware Horizon Community
Douglas42Adams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Instant Clones - How are you guys preloading Print Drivers on the GI ?

Hi ,

In regards to IC's and the Gold Image - i was just curious how most are loading Print Drivers . ( or are most not doing that ? )

We are using UEM / App Vol and Writables with just UIA's .

It sounds like most people are putting Printer Drivers on the Gold image of the instant clone ?

Sorry for being an idiot.. but i was just wondering the precise steps .

copy the driver files to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

We dont want everyone to have access to every printer... thus we dont want to install every printer on the GI .

Im just trying to 'preload' the drivers onto the GI.. so they are there when a users gets that printer added .

Perhaps install the printer then remove it ?.. i wonder if the driver stays ?

thanks .

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bjartest
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I add them with Print Management on the golden image. On Win10 start run printmanagement.msc, expand Print Servers, your computer and select Drivers. Right click and select Add Driver.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bjartest
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I add them with Print Management on the golden image. On Win10 start run printmanagement.msc, expand Print Servers, your computer and select Drivers. Right click and select Add Driver.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
Mach1_70
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In our setup we install HP Universal Drivers to the GM using a script that is run when we optimize the GM using the OSOT Fling.

We have the drivers extracted to a folder and use the following Powershell script to add the drivers in to the GM:

InstallHPDriver.ps1:

Invoke-Command {pnputil.exe /add-driver "C:\Tools\Tools-GM\Drivers\pcl6-x64-6.6.0.23029\hpcu215u.inf" /install}

Add-PrinterDriver -Name "HP Universal Printing PCL 6"

0 Kudos
cbaptiste
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I would so what bjartest​ suggested to add the printer drivers. Also I would use universal drivers to minimize the amount of drivers to upload on the golden image.

0 Kudos