VMware Horizon Community
enso_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Instant Clone gold image snapshot prep & Losing trust relationship with domain

Hello,

I'm looking for some information about best practices regarding instant clone gold image preparation before taking a snapshot.

Things like 'ipconfig /release' 

And secondly, and this might be because I'm not doing something that should be done in preparation to taking snapshots... The gold image constantly loses trust relationship to the domain. This doesn't affect the Horizon end users, but it's a bit annoying having to rejoin the domain every time in order to do a 'gpupdate /force' or even for FSLogix rules editor to find user and group objects in our AD.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SurajRoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

While provisioning Instant Clone machine, ClonePrep will customize the Agent machine which will add the VDI desktops to the Domain / OU defined at the time of creating pool.

The GPO policies which will be linked to the OU will get applied to the VDI machines

View solution in original post

7 Replies
SurajRoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The master image / Golden image is not supposed to join the domain.

For more info, please refer to https://techzone.vmware.com/manually-creating-optimized-windows-images-vmware-horizon-vms 

enso_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not sure if I like that option.

FSLogix Apps RuleEditor requires access to the domain when creating/modifying rules.

Also with InstantClones, the actual clones i.e. the user VM's do not pull any computer group policies, user policies only. Computer group policies are all pulled/applied to the gold image. - This is my understanding anyways. 

However, this is the first time I'm dealing with InstantClones, so I'm happy to be proven wrong :).

0 Kudos
SurajRoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

While provisioning Instant Clone machine, ClonePrep will customize the Agent machine which will add the VDI desktops to the Domain / OU defined at the time of creating pool.

The GPO policies which will be linked to the OU will get applied to the VDI machines

enso_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will try this now.

So in order for the 'Computer Configuration' policies to be applied (not only the 'User Configuratoin') defined in the GPO, no additional script needs to be run? ClonePrep will do that as well?

0 Kudos
SurajRoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes.

Please try and let me know if it works. 

enso_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Works like a charm.