VMware Horizon Community
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Instant Clone and App Vols

I'm starting to play around with Instant Clones and App Vols and am running into an issue with the apps I create. 

I've create an APP VOLUME of "NOTEPAD++"  and I run thru the installed and every works fine.  I reboot and complete the App Vol creation.

When I add that App to myself at next login, I log in and attempt to access the application. I am then giving the following error:

C:\Program File (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I'm running Windows 7 64b SP1.   It's a floating Instant Clone pool.

I have not enable writable volumes. 

I have tried it with Adobe Reader and Chrome as well and get similar errors.

Has anyone else encountered this.   I've gone over the documentation on creating the instant clone parent VM and configuration.. Maybe I messed something somewhere but I've don't it a few time already and come back to the same issue.

Any insight or help would greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks,

LB

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Seems like it was something within the instant clone gold image .   Strange behavior.

After creating a new instant clone gold image for Win 7 64bit SP1 Ent, everything worked fine after that.. no longer exhibiting the permissions issues.

Larry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DumbUsername
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you using AppLocker to control which exe files are allowed to run?

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I am not.   I just double checked it and nothing is configured in the AppLocker properties.

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Seems like it was something within the instant clone gold image .   Strange behavior.

After creating a new instant clone gold image for Win 7 64bit SP1 Ent, everything worked fine after that.. no longer exhibiting the permissions issues.

Larry

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just as a note, It did reoccur but I did end up finding the root cause of the issue.

A Group Policy was set under the OU structure.  The "Removable Disk: Deny execute access" object under computer configuration was "Enabled" .  Therefore not allowing the executables within the App Volume to be executed.. Funny how that works. 

Larry b.